Regulated vs Unregulated

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now here's a real debate we can all get into! None of us likes to have the bottom drop out of the batteries while changing a flat or getting through a hurricane. But this is what happened during a long walk one night, I always carry spare cells. What works for ya'll? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
chiphead
--------------------------------
What have you got against being prepared???
Burt Gummer from the movie...TREMOURS

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
like above, a back up light is a good idea.

also, there is always something like a madmax, where it runs and runs (dimming)until it totally kills the bats.
you shouldnt get a sudden dropoff, anyway.

Bob

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm using old medication bottles to carry my spare CR123 and AAs'. Ain't waterproof but alright for now. My Eternalight EliteMax was the one that dropped out during my walk. It's got great regulation, till you get down to those last few hundred miliamps. But I've love it!

chiphead

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about "regulated with moon mode?"

I used to think unregulated would be better because that gave you the option of extremely low light that would bleed the batteries dry if you had to. I've bled zinc carbon cells down to 0.1 volts - yes, that's not a typo. Couldn't believe it on the DMM either, and the best part is that it still lit a Lux3 at 30mA, brighter than a fully charged ArcAAA!

These days I prefer it done KL1 style, because I hate having less than optimal light output and change batteries before their time is due. The KL1 gives me 2 hours in regulation, it flickers to warn you that the batteries are going (not sure if that was intentionally designed, but it sure is useful), and when it stops flickering you still have 5 hours of emergency power to get you home as it goes into direct drive and bleeds the cells dry. I've done 'dry runs' of around 4-6 hours just to see how far it will go and believe me it WILL suck the cells dry just as effectively as a dedicated lantern I built - down to 1+ volts, which for a CR123 is as dead as a doornail.

The lantern was built as a battery eater, direct-driving a Lux1 off 2xCR123 cells without even a resistor in series. Loading fresh 123s into it will destroy the Luxeon in VERY short order, but depleted CR123s run down to the point where they will no longer power a high-drain Surefire lamp still provide 10+ hours of diminishing light in it.

That having been said, backup lights are a must. Carry your Arc or CMG Inf Ultra.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a post 9/11 age, I've got batteries & flashlights stashed all over the place.

chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually carry the Longbow Eco for EDC along with an Elektrolumens FT-3C unregulated when I am out walking
or driving, best of both worlds.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Eternalight-Elite has allows me to switch regulation on and off. I've found that with regulation I can milks to batteries (lithum/AA) for all they're worth. This is with a estimated run time of 700hrs. I hope to find out what it can do under cold weather conditions. That is if we have a winter down here.

chiphead

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chiphead said:
Right now I'm using old medication bottles to carry my spare CR123 and AAs'. Ain't waterproof but alright for now.
chiphead

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif In my case, I cut a disc of bicycle tube and put it into the cap to make the container waterproof and use a piece of sponge to prevent battery rattle.