NEW SF L1 model

arwin

Newly Enlightened
Hi do you guys know if this model of L1 has come out yet? Surefire says it's using 3 watt LED and new bezel design, perhaps with a reflector or lens (like the new KL1).

[image]http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/comparechart_LED.html[/image]

Flashdark

Enlightened
ARWIN,

Heard about the same thing that you did - that a new and improved 3W version was on the way. Have not heard a projected date. The thing that confuses me is that I have an L1-RD that is outstanding(!) on both "low" and "high", but the L1-WH that I have is sick and semi-useless on "low" and very slightly dimmer than a KL1 on "high". Cannot explain the difference. If my L1-RD is so good, does it have the new LED head (looks the same as the L1-WH!)? If a new L1-WH is in the mill, what changes are they going to make?

A lot of questions. Looking forward to reading a reply from someone that has some answers.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, it's been linked to in previous threads (see the 'New Design KL1 being shipped'), and it's not a 3W Luxeon - it's a Lux III, which is a higher-rated LuxI, and has collimating optics to make it more of a thrower than a flooder. It has already shipped, but they're apparently already backordered.

For reviews, I'd suggest trying Quickbeam's or Craig's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is certainly contributing to the confusion with the web site stating that it uses a "3-watt LED" for the L1. I wish marketing would get together with Engineering and straighten out all the mistakes and conflicting information on both the L1 and KL1.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:

Actually, a Luxeon III is considered a 3W Luxeon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd - those things are driven at 1A, and I'm not sure if I'd say that you're getting 3W out of each Lux III. That'd mean that a single Lux III would be putting out about 90 lumens, given the 30 lu/W measurement they've published. You'd need a LuxV to match that, non?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Lumiled's started the lunacy by calling their LED's 1W and then the 5W. Out comes the LuxIII and it is akin to three watts so it is no wonder that marketing and some convention has it known as a 3W Luxeon. I suggest that we in the realm of flashaholics stick to LuxI, LuxIII and LuxV because after all, we all know that these LED's can be driven well above and below the stated watts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I don't know about you guys but from my point of reference, I fault all problems to Lumileds and by extension Future Electronics. I had a bunk pizza the other night and I am certain that somehow Lumileds and/or Future had something to do with it! SF can be faulted for many things but I suggest that when it comes to Luxeons, the *cause* is further up stream! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course without Lumileds and Futhre, what would we have?!?

arwin

Newly Enlightened
Flashdark, the new L1 is supposed to have a new bezel design similar to the L4 bezel. And hopefully they will drop in a reflector instead of optics. I have the "old" L1 and wanna change the NX05 to SO17XA, but osCommerce didnt have any stock. Do you know where else can I get it? Cheers

Krit

Enlightened
It SF come out with 3 watt and 2 stages switch. It is very perfect for me. The 5 watt is seem to be high bright and hi consumption. So I waiting to see the 3 watt version.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
arwin: Given that the new KL1 uses optics... so I suspect that the 'new' L1 will also follow a similar design, the way the L4 is just a KL4 on an E2e body. Also, see the Flashlightlens.com site for an SOX17A reflector, if you're serious about getting one.

Krit: The KL1 uses a LuxIII driven at about 490mA, so that's technically a '3W', though the Lux III can be driven well above 3W with decent heatsinking, IIRC. If you want a two-stage switch, try going for a McGizmo Mc2ES, and you'll have yourself a two-stage light (albeit, an unregulated one).

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the new L1 does NOT use the same optics in the KL1. The L1 is not intended to be a tactical light, so having a pure spot beam pattern with no throw would be a mistake IMO.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you would have to watch using a two stage switch with a head that has a buck boost converter in it. But who knows, it may work out.