Malkoff        

Thread: CMG Infinity Ultra

Default CMG Infinity Ultra

First, hello everyone... I came to this forum from Dan's data.
    I've been caressing the idea of getting a LED flashlight for a while after reading Dan's articles on them, and last month I finally decided to get one. So I went to the local electronics store, and got myself a three-AA-cell, three-bluish-LED flashlight. I wasn't very impressed. The thing isn't useless, but only gives out as much light as a completely unremarkable filament bulb flashlight with low batteries. I can use it to see where I'm going when the power goes out at night, but it's not what I was looking for. I put three cheap carbon zinc cells in it, put it in a place where it's easy to reach and it's now my emergency light.
    I then set out to find something more akin to what I was looking for, and read about the ARC-AAA on Dan's site. I want an AA light though, so my attention was piqued by the CMG Infinity Ultra... single AA, DC-to-DC converter, bright light, tough, rather small, 25 hours of full brightness light.
    Great!

Except that I live in Italy, and I have absolutely no idea where I can get one of them. No shop seems to stock them here. I had a look at ebay, but nothing. Online stores that shop to Italy also leave me looking at a failed search page.
    Am I completely out of luck here? Is there any way I can get one?

Thanks in advance!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: CMG Infinity Ultra

Welcome to CPF VioletSky, and why dontcha stay awhile!

Well, here are a few thoughts...

Some of our esteemed supporter dealers send international, like Chris at Meridian Tactical, and Kevin at BatteryStation.

Talk to ksbman:
    intl forwarding

Check out B/S/T and talk to some of our members. A global priority envelope is like $5 US to send (no tracking, no insurance), and usually gets there.

Glad to have ya, you have a world of new lights to consider now. Sounds like that 3AA will make a good emergency light. Some of the AA and AAA lights our members sell, like the Chinese ones with 10leds, are pretty bright, and not too expensive. And don't forget 2AAs like a Streamlight Jr, or a Minimag with terralux, or opalec, or sandwich from Wayne's Sandwich Shoppe (check out the index to get to Wayne's forum).

And if you decide to move on to 123 lithium based lights, that's a whole different world. I don't know how common they are in your neck of the woods. Talk to some of our Italian members, like gladius, for some local flavor.

welcome again,
    daloosh

try searching 'gerber ultra'. That might give more hits.

Is the Gerber Infinity Ultra really bright? I know its not 30 Lumens, but how bright is it really?

-tom

Flashaholic*

It's not that bright at all. A lot like an ArcAAA, but much better runtime. Depends on where you use it, under your desk to find a screw, no prob; out camping in the woods, more than enough light; in the city with light pollution, it's of minimal help.

daloosh

Hey! Post 999, like the serial no. on my Arc4+, woohoo!

Flashaholic*

Really bright requires mod to lux III. Led_asap is known for his good work on small lights, but I'm sure others could help you with this as well.

If you're looking for a bright light (and was disappointed with the 3AA you got), you probably won't be to thrilled with the Infinity Ultra, that's more of a super-long runtime, but not surprisingly bright if you compare it with a Lux-based light. The latter are brighter, but with shorter runtimes. May I suggest that you visit flashlightreviews.com ? The site is loaded with great info and a nice table that summarizes the main features of the lights. Another one of my favorites is The LED Museum's website.

I considered the idea of Luxeon products too, but from Dan's articles I get the idea that they are larger, bulkier and require considerably more power... since the one I'll get will see much use to sort out what cable goes where inside PC cases, or for electronic work, I'd like something a bit smaller.
    If there's anything with the size of an Infinity with a Luxeon star, I'll be happy to consider that one instead.
    What kind of battery life can I expect out of a one-AA-cell Luxeon based flashlight, if such a thing exists at all?
    As for Lithium cells, I haven't given them much consideration... I have seen them here, but in very few places and those few shops that stock them would cause my wallet to commit suicide :P
    While I can get cheapo carbon-zincs for virtually nothing (how's one (1) euro for 10 of them look like? They won't last long, but they're bound to last more than one single cell that costs the same), and alkalines for Not Much...

Oh, another question while I'm at it: how are rechargeable cells for use in flashlights? I know they'll probably discharge more for their poor shelf life than for actual use, but a 1400mah NiMH cell costs very little and recharging it won't be a problem...

By the way, this seems a friendly forum... I think I'll stay here for a while [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A Luxeon-based light may be overkill if you just want to poke in the back you computers. Or, in the spirit of CPF, try both! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The Infinity Ultra may do the trick. Have you tried the Gerber Trio ($20 at batterystation.com; special deal for CPF members)? It uses 2AA and from what I hear it's really nice. The Opalec Newbeam is a drop-in replacement for the minimag. The nerdnik.com module is very similar.

I routinely use NiMh's in my lights. When used in incans the output may be lower, but in regulated LED's there shouldn't be as much of a problem. In fact, I believe they are better for some regulated lights as they can deliver more current, or something like that. I'm not much an electric engineer.

Runtime for a 1AA Lux mod? About an hour, tops. PM (private message) LED_ASAP, he does mods like those.

Welcome to CPF. Yes, it is a friendly forum.

You should consider the UK 4AA eLED, which uses a Luxeon but drives it with less current--so you get a good balance of brightness and runtime. It's also regulated, so it will be equally bright with alkaline, rechargeable, or carbon-zinc batteries. Since this flashlight uses four AA batteries and a step-down circuit, it should have a low enough current draw that carbon-zinc batteries will work OK despite their poor capacity for delivering current.

Greetings VioletSky. Try Joe at Outdoors Supply, he has the Gerber infinities and can ship to Europe no problem, as he has a UK base.

http://outdoorsuppliesuk.com/content.html

Joe's a great guy to deal with.

Enlightened

Hi,
    I too am relatively new here. I don't know whether they ship to Europe, but try Peak (www.peakledsolutions.net). I have their 1AAA 3LED hi-power Snow type III HA light (wow that's a mouthful) and it looks like it would be perfect for poking around a PC. Nice color white light, tight beam, and bright enough but not blinding and it uses easy to find batteries.

Although harder to get, I think the TnC Custom Products Key Lux AA is also a good option. Again, easy to find battery and really bright Luxeon 1 watt. Much more sidespill and really nicely made lights.

Just buy them all and have fun!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Joe at ODS has just become the UK/EU distributor for Peak LED. Their lights should be on his website within the next few days.

For looking inside of my computer, i use a smal fluorescent flood light vorking vith 2AA battery gived to me by on of my dealer 2 year ago, i don't know if if still aviable the manufacturer is OSRAM. Sometimes i use my Zipka+ whem i don't find my fluorescent.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    VioletSky said:

I then set out to find something more akin to what I was looking for, and read about the ARC-AAA on Dan's site. I want an AA light though, so my attention was piqued by the CMG Infinity Ultra... single AA, DC-to-DC converter, bright light, tough, rather small, 25 hours of full brightness light. Great!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right to be fascinated by this light. The CMG Ultra and ArcAA are some of the most functional led lights ever made. The Ultra is a must-have flashlight and you won't regret purchasing it. The design is well-tested in the market and is highly reliable. Very high "cool" factor as well.

Also, of interest are the older CMG Infinities which are dimmer but with much longer run-time. These lights come not only in white beam but many other useful beam colors.

Whoo... those Luxeon LEDs eat a lot of power! I've searched a bit and it seems they can discharge a cr123 lithium to uselessness after 3 hours...
    I might be interested in a Luxeon 4AA light out of sheer curiosity, but it's not what I need right now.
    After some searching it seems the CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra is exactly what I'm looking for.
    outdoorsupplies also seems the perfect place to order it from, as it accepts payments via agents (I don't have a credit card or paypal account), and there's one right here in my city [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I'm not interested in the older non-ultra Infinity as 25 hours of full light is more than enough, and while I don't have a pathological craving for lumens :P I also want something reasonably bright...

Thank you everybody!

Flashaholic*

VioletSky- the 25 hour runtime at full brightness is just manufacturer hype. The real number is more like 10 hours.

Oh, the UKe 4AA luxeon runs very cool, being underdriven, and gives a basic full brightness for 11 hours.

Flashaholic*

sei italiano violetsky?

[ QUOTE ]
    VioletSky said:Am I completely out of luck here? Is there any way I can get one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm placing an order at CComm tomorrow. If what you want adds up to less than $50, I can save you $6 shipping by adding what you want to the order.

Flashaholic*

Hey pathmd, welcome to CPF, and why dontcha stay awhile!

Luxeons the way to go, violetsky. But if the batteries are holding you back, 5mm nichias are fine. THe Ultra is fine, but you'll want more, like a SL Jr. So, as you'll hear a lot around here, buy both!

daloosh