I saw this cool looking light, the Inova X5

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this cool looking light, the Inova X5, should I get it? I still lack a lower power flashlight. I have a cheap headlamp and a G2 Nitrolon with a P-60 ( I just ordered the P-61).

I went to a store and the saw the Inova x5 for 25$, should I get it. It looks cool and all, but is it really worth it?

-tom

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I've got two of them, a red one and a white one. They seem pretty indestructible, they are small, and they seem to last forever and a day on a CR123a. They aren't insanely bright, but you can easily navigate around in the dark with them, and they aren't too bright to use for closeup work. I use the red one more than the white one. Lotsa flood, not much throw. Does a good job of lighting up a room. It's a great emergency backup light.

BTW, "not insanely bright" is sort of relative. I use the red one instead of my SUV's headlights when driving away from the darksky site I visit. (Dark adaptation is your friend!)

Leeoniya

Enlightened
my only beef with them is the weight and the blue tint on the white LEDs. but i guess tanks dont come light. (so many puns intended). i hope they fixed the blue tint somewhat. my white was really blue.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5 is great for using every last drop of power in dead 123 cells.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
And I'll add my recommendation for the Inova X5 too.
Like the commercial says "built Ford tough".
It's bright, but not blindingly so. And it can use CR123A cells that are too low to properly operate an incandescent flashlight.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
cornkid: No multi-LED light will compare with a Luxeon for throw, and it'll take a lot more than five 5mm Nichias to do the same for flood, therefore a comparison with the Surefire KL1 is like asking if you can drive a three-wheel moped as fast as you can a luxury sports car.

What it IS, however, is a decent flood for short to medium ranges that'll run practically forever on 123's that any other flashlight will have given up as 'dead'. Granted, it won't be too bright at those levels, but it WILL light up.

tracker870

Enlightened
My Inova X5T white has become my around the house (inside) light, replacing the old minimag. And yes, it eats the so called "dead bats" from the Surefires!

Acme

Newly Enlightened
County Comm has an unusual version of the X5; it has a dark, non reflective coating. http://www.countycomm.com/x5tha.htm

Of course, one pays for uniqueness. This "tactical" version costs $45. The difference is mostly in the coating of the aluminum ("hard anodized"), not in the light output. Even though I needn't worry about enemy infantry seeing light reflecting off the front of the light, I bought one. It's a good light. Of course I don't worry about spending money on weird flashlights, either.

Usual disclaimers apply.

Acme

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The whole Inova X & T series lights are built tough, priced fairly well, perform well, very efficient with lower voltage cells, lifetime warranty...what else? Yep, they are worth it and $25 is a good price!

B@rt

Flashaholic
Get one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Here in the land of high prices they sell for 79 Euro (USD 99.- ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif