How rare is the E2e-SG?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite it being publicly announced on the Surefire webpage, this seems like a difficult one to get hold of. How rare is it? Is production only in limited numbers and are they still producing it? It seems to be even cheaper than the E2e-HA, if you can find it I suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Are the SG bezels equipped with the antiroll hex as per normal E2e-HAs, or is it still the teardrop bezel as shown on the official page?

Also, once upon a long time ago, I saw an E1e-SG on sale - how rare is THAT? SF has never mentioned anything about it and it seems to show up even less often than the 'limited edition' Winelight.

Seeing all the beautiful E2e-SG's go past in B/S/T while moths fly out of my wallet is torture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

bajaiman

Enlightened
I think the E2E-SG is not that rare, its just a little hard to find. E1E-SG is a bit harder to find compared to E2E-SG but definitely E1E-HA III black is the rarest of them all I guess.

I've got my E2E-SG and E1E-SG from JCCV...Try email/PM him...he might be able to get you one. The only thing that'll hurt the most is your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kevin, the E2e-SG is not really that rare. They can be found fairly easily, especially on eBay. But they're rare in the sense that Surefire doesn't regularly manufacture them (they might go through a run every six months or so, it seems). The SG bezels are not equipped with an antiroll hex bezel, but the older version teardrop bezel. It actually is a good-looking bezel. Since the clip is attached to the body, that prevents rolling, but not to the extent you would have with a hex bezel. In addition, there are a couple of different versions of the E2e-SG: the newest version, similar to the new E Series bodies put out by Surefire, has one large "flat" for the Surefire name (and other print) directly opposite the clip side, as well as another bare flat directly beneath the clip. The previous version had three flat sides. And the oldest version was on the E2 body (no nameplate flats, but a fully-rounded body - clip on the bezel). Bottom line: you can still find the E2e-SG, as well as the E1e-SG, fairly easily, but they're not as common as the E2e-HA and E1e-HA. Let me know if you have any questions. I happen to own several of all of these models. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

akula88

Enlightened
The newest more rounded version I have is a little bit darker compared with my older 3-flat version. Both have the teardrop bezel without clips.

I don't want to brag, but here is my 'complete' E2E-3Flat lights.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe the E2e has been released in other colours (ask JT!)
Red, Blue, Green and I heard a rumour that a Dealer had some made with USA colors.

Al

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang I knew I shouldn't have spent so much on raffle tickets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

*thinking about nickel KL1 and E2e-SG body* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Thanks for the info. The E1e-SG was offered by jcciv, he's the one who seems to be able to find all the unusual goodies. This month's paycheck can't come too soon.

Al: I'm thinking about SG, HA3 black, blue, and nat-HA. At this rate I should be broke for the next year or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AWTYD: yup, I think I saw a pic of a new E2e with rounded sides. The teardrop bezel looks good, too.

akula88: that is a NICE collection. Thanks for sharing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bajaiman: Thanks for helping me add the L4 and the clickie to my small SF collection. The clickie has gotten over its 'jet lag' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif once I cleaned it up and it is doing fine in its new home as shown below on the E1e.

fivelights.jpg

The L4 in the picture has the E1e's bezel and nothing inside, unfortunately... the pic was taken because I am parting with the bezel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif and still awaiting the new KL1 that should be on the plane right now.

The 6P always looks blue in the photos, it is not. I like the GM color, that's why I'm thinking about the E2e-SG. Perhaps I'll catch the next run with rounded sides.

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I believe the E2e has been released in other colours (ask JT!)
Red, Blue, Green and I heard a rumour that a Dealer had some made with USA colors.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone needs to know ANYthing about Surefire, BTW, Al is the one to contact. Al, your Surefire collection might be the world's greatest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif We all are dying for Brock to fix the shelf photo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

suppin

Newly Enlightened
SG means Satin Grey finish, GM is Gun Metal and HA is Hard Adodized /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
GM GunMetal Grey and SG SatinGrey are the same finish.
Renamed because the finish doesn't look like gun metal apparently. I've not got a lot of experience looking a guns metal or otherwise.

SG/GM is not Hard Anodised.

Also, I believe there are several people with far superior SureFire collections then I have. Certainly, JT and Shelby Chan. There are others also...

Al

Actually, I have both GM and SG (at least according to the boxes). The GM I have is a darker silver, almost a gray, while the SG is a brighter, more silvery finish. Maybe this is simply due to the fact that they were manufactured at different times.

The SG/GM is not HA, but it IS DGL. Damn good looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bisley

Newly Enlightened
Surefire's catalog states"Pick any color you like as long as it's hard anodized".All Surefire finishes are either HA II or HA III.Provides surface hardness andcorrosion resistance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Catalog quote:We use Type II anodizing and Type III anodizing,also known as "mil-spec hard anodizing"....
Maybe that means only Type III is hard anodizing and Type II is something different?

greenLED

Flashaholic
What?? I thought you were *the one* with *the largest* SF collection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif One word still comes to mind, though: WoW!

Incidentally, is it true that SF plans to offer "build-it-yourself" lights? As in, "pick and choose from different components that are compatible and buy from them directly"? Is this just a rumor? I know you can sort of do that now, but you have to buy several complete lights and swap the parts. Cheers!

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is no such thing as HAII.

That's like saying "Hard Anodised SOFT"

There is no such thing as HA2. There's HA (which is HA Level 3) and then there's Level 2 which is standard, not hard.
I posted this on CPF a while back:
With respect, unless some anodising expert stops by to prove me wrong, the term "HAII" is rubbish (trash, utter tosh etc)

HAII is like saying Hard Anodised soft/weak/decoration.

SureFire state that their "HA" is Hard Anodised to Mil-A-8625 Type III Class 2.

Mil Spec Type II is sulphuric acid anodising which is usually dyed provides the very basic in corrosion resistance, abrasion resistance, and dielectric properties.

Mil Spec Type III is sulphuric/oxalic acid anodising which produces a thick and dense "hardcoat". This "Hard Anodising" or hard coating provides excellent abrasion resistance and corrosion protection, but is often difficult to colour.

Something to note (found while googling)
"At a sharp corner there will be little, if any, anodic coating. This is because the coating builds perpendicularly to the aluminum substrate. At a sharp corner there is, theoretically, no substrate to build on. Imagine a sharp right angle with coating building perpendicular to each surface. At a very small area along the corner there is virtually no anodic coating thickness."
source

There is no HAII.

I hope this helps explain myself?!

Size15's

Flashaholic
GreenLED,

SureFire have offer such a system for many years and now have three systems.

Classic WeaponLights

Millennium Universal WeaponLights

ScoutLight WeaponLights

They don't offer it directly for flashlights because you can't buy flashlight bodies. I guess this is what you mean.