Referring people to CPF and CPFers

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was mailing some flashlights overseas at the 24 hour Airport Post Office last night and the clerk's eyebrows raised at the amount of insurance for 3 lights ($500.00) and asked about them.

I pulled out my Jets22 TWOK Arc LS and let him check it out. He said, "And here I thought the MiniMag (stock) was the best there was!"

I said "I remember when I thought the same too".

I took a Battery Station business card out of my wallet and wrote down CPF's URL along with Flashlightlens.com's URL for him to check out. He mentioned that he needed a new lamp and lens for his Maglite 3D.

I got to thinking afterwards that I'd like to have had a "business card" with several URLs on it for referring people. I could check the ones that were most appropriate to their needs. This would help particularly when I travel to out of the way places. They may have internet access, but they are living in the 1980s as far as flashlights are concerned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

CPFers can be terrific advertising because we have flashlights with us when we are out in the general community, we tend to have state of the art lights, or modified versions of common lights.

The Postal Clerk was fascinated with the small size, quality, and brightness of the light I happened to be carrying and I imagine that he will checkout CPF sometime soon.

I have some Business Card software and I believe some business card stock somewhere here, I might give it a try.

Do you have an incident where you referred someone to CPF or a CPFer? Also, any ideas concerning how to do it?

Britt

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have referred several people to CPF, a couple HVAC guys most recently. I had to do it after seeing the stock MiniMags they use (put up with) everyday. I haven't heard anything back from them, but I like to believe that there are a couple of sammies from the Shoppe residing in those MMs now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

DaveT

Enlightened
I had a meet-up with a fellow CPFer in a coffee shop last year...we were passing back and forth our various lights, when a guy with two kids leaned over and asked about the lights (a Space Needle II with the A&B extension and a 2C Mag with 2x123/kpr112).
We wrote down on a scrap of paper cpf's url, Mr. Bulk, and gave him several keywords to find out more. He seemed very interested, but I have no idea if he followed through.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to have some CPF cards. I'm not sure if they would qualify as "business" cards though.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I've referred quite a few people to CPF, Flashlight Reviews, TW, Battery Station, Bright Guy, etc.

If I'm referring them to CPF only, I usually write down CPF's url on a piece of paper. I usually send them links when multiple sites are discussed.

avusblue

Enlightened
The best "introduction" openings seem to come when people observe a SureFire L4, one of which I keep in the center console cubby in my car. Almost everyone that rides with me picks it up, tries it, and says "wow!" If their reaction is one of "cool!" instead of revulsion at the price tag, I then have the open door to tell them about CPF.

RussH

Enlightened
I get "where can I get one of those lights" fairly often. I write down URLs when I can remember them or email links when that's easier. Some people just want to know where to order, they aren't interested in a forum or searching, even...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the card idea. I think BrightNorm uses one to quickly explain why he may be carrying several high tech lights on a flight.

I usually have a BatteryStation Card with me. The last fellow I gave one too is a Leo. Recently he purchased his third PM6 with batteries.

I can see many benefits to having a CPF card with some of our favorite vendors' URLs.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it! Good idea. I'm interested, but don't have anything to add beyond what has already been said. I like the idea for a card which you outlined, Britt. I would find it useful to carry one or two.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My car club has been doing this for years!! It's a great way to draw in new members and inform those who might never think to look for this sort of things. When I told the guys in the car club about how I modified my Maglite with an LED, they asked me where I ever got the idea. I told them about this forum, where people actually spend a lot of their time talking about how to modify flashlights. They'd only heard about modifying cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
It was brought up a while ago, I'm not sure who took the liberty of designing them but I have some still sitting next to my PC. They are the standard business card size with the CPF "pill". Underneath it is "SEE THE LIGHT" with the URL.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I have mentioned CPF on other websites and to guys I work with, and quote the link in eMails to guys I work with, or know over the Internet, whenever they ask about my lights, or there happens to be a discussion about lighting tools.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If I receive an emailed question I cannot answer, I refer them to CPF - first thing I do.
I've probably made this type of referral no fewer than 100 times since CPF first came online in mid-2000.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people I meet that show interest in my lights have much interest at first, but then when they find the price out they have stroke. "Why in the world would you pay that much for a flashlight"?? I hear this at least once a week.

Lots of people like the lights, but few believe in paying over $20 for a flashlight. That is why IMO Gaglite can sell so many mediocre flashlights...the general public don't consider flashlights to be a life saving tool, and are generally contempt with mediocre (but satisfactory) flashlights.

Just recently, I pulled out my Surefire 6P and showed a person how much more output it gets than his Maglite 2AA...but once I mentioned the price his response was "I can't justify paying XX dollars for just a little more brightness".....yet my 6P was clearly MUCH MUCH (a lot) brighter....seems the price clouded his vision.

However, having said that I have given two people info on CPF, and they seem interested plus are willing to spend a little more for better flashlights. Just IMO, YMMV

Lara

Newly Enlightened
In my experience it's easy to convince people that they need a better flashlight, but once they have their TwinTask or something similar they are happy and move on. I guess we flashaholics truly are a strange bunch... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif