UK 4AA eLED - Owners Opinions Please

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about getting a UK 4AA eLED, they are on sale at BrightGuy. If anyone owns one of these lights, could you please give me you opinions. Thank you. A Flashaholic Forever.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is a great all purpose light. Regulated output for at least 10 hrs. steady light, waterproof, and a nice white beam with lots of useful flood. I'm very pleased with mine. It's not a pocket light but is just about perfect for glove box, tool box, kitchen drawer, etc. Not the brightest luxeon (some say its equal to 5-7 normal white LEDs), but it'll beat a minimag while giving good color for many more hours.

Geoff

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here is the runtime plot on mine!

uk4aa.jpg

Mine has rather ugly yellow tint to the light while most folks claim a good white light.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Great light. Not the brightest, but you can't beat the regulated runtime. It's also waterproof, Division II approved for hazardous environments, will run on NiMH batteries, and a fairly nice compact package. If you plan on using it for any specialized uses, there are a number of accessories available, i.e., helmet brackets, traffic direction wands, etc. There is also a xenon drop-in available for $6 that you can change out when you need something with more throw.

A great value.

ps56k

Enlightened
It almost looks like it ran for 13hrs regulated, and then just died... not dim, just nothing...

Also - for Mike, since you have listed a Streamlight JR Lux, wonder which you would choose for a backpacking light - we currently have a Dorcy 2AA which is fine, just waiting for the Dorcy 2AA 1w as the 3AAA 1w seems a little too bulky which makes me wonder about the UK or the PT XL, another 4AA plastic LED.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Note, that on the plot, at the end of the runtime plot (16 hr), it was still generating 12.8Fc @ 1ft of light!

Free

Enlightened
I have one, and it is rather dim. I realize that is necessary due to the inability to dissapate heat into the polymer body, but I would be happy with half the runtime if it was twice as bright.

A very minor gripe is that the switch is a little odd, and requires that you press it hard, in just the right spot.

Can't beat that flat run-time chart though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
So how does this compare to the UK Q40? I understand the Q40 is simply a more compact (and diving-rated) version of the UK4AA. Any impressions from Q40 owners who happen to also use the 4AA?

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
PS56K -- The Luxeon Jr. is probably a little better for nighttime hiking. I used my Lux Jr. in a night navigation class in fairly open desert terrain a few weeks ago, and it was plenty of light. I didn't have my UK with me, so I wasn't able to test it. But the UK is dimmer,and has less throw, so in my book it's less useful for hiking.

But given its long battery life and useful short-range flood, it would make a great light for chores around camp. In the grand tradition of CPF, I say, "Get them both!"

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The 4xAA eLED is a great all-around light. The beam pattern is rather well-designed and unique - pencil-beam hotspot that gradually drops off into spill. It makes for a versatile beam good for close-up work as well as moderate throw.

StuU

Enlightened
The most functional all-around luxeon light IMHO. And at one of the best prices also. Fantastic for night walking for any regular flashlight chores. A winner.

mapson

Enlightened
I have two, one in each of our vehicles, definitely not a bright light, but it's runtime and the LED is what I'm after. Plus, with lithiums inside and another set as backup, I won't worry about running out of light in the car. Small enough to carry around in a jacket or coat too.

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
It's a fab light. Plenty bright for anything under thirty or forty feet away, and if you need more throw, buy one of the Xenon heads - they fit on the same body, and come in 2 or 4 watt.

Aloft

Enlightened
At first, I was somewhat underwhelmed by mine. But after I tested it in a darker environment, it kind of grew on me. Still bright enough, though not as bright as some other luxeons. . . but you can't beat the runtime, and UK states that using lithium batteries is ok (though they don't guarantee the explosive environment safety rating with lithiums). This makes it ideal for the car glove box.

ps56k

Enlightened
tnx for the chatter... BTW what is "EDC" ?
So, I went to Target today and picked up the Dorcy 1w x 3AAA, and also just ordered the UK 1w x 4AA eLed from Brightguy.com -
They both will be birthday gifts for my camping son, who now mostly uses his Dorcy 2AA x 4led vs his MiniMag.
Would sure like to see the Dorcy 1w x 2AA out on the rack.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exceptional light at the price.

Very good beam quality, with only very slight artifacts that only show up at point blank range. Past 5 feet, you have a superb flood beam with no artifacts, good tint (mine range from slightly yellow to off white/cream). The beam also transitions very well from the pencil thin hotspot through the corona. Exceptional runtime, and fabulous sidespill. Throw is effective to 25 feet on a dark night--which is okay for its indended purpose (its primarily a flood flashlight). Construction quality is above average.

For $20, I do NOT think you will find a flashlight even 1/4th as useful as the UK eLED. An exceptional flashlight at a steal of a price. Just IMO, YMMV

greenLED

Flashaholic
EDC= every day carry, a light that you'll keep on you almost 24/7 (or 24/7 if you have a small light around your neck when you go to bed). The point is to always have a light available.

People EDC lights on their keychains, in their pockets, around their necks, on their belts, in a coat pocket, in a "fanny" pack, backpack... you name it.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
How about a contrary opinion...(I hope this isn't considered bad taste).

I have one but it's rarely off the shelf....don't like the case; don't like the switch; the beam is only average. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

But then again, I don't care for any plastic flashlights...give me cold, hard steel... well, alumininum... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

JB

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Wish I could tell you something bad about it. It is a great mix of durability, long burn time and usable short range light. You can switch to Lithium batteries for about a 50% increase in burn time. Back with alkaline batteries you can use the available incadesant bulb for a lot more throw. It's small in size, big in uses and small in price. Really hard to beat for an all around light.