Badboy 400 Lux III or Lamda's New Mini Pro III?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badboy 400 Lux III or Lamda\'s New Mini Pro III?

Since, they're both current regulated and work off a 2 watt Lux, I'd like to know if I should wait for the Lamda or the BB400 from dat2zip

Crux

Newly Enlightened
Re: Badboy 400 Lux III or Lamda\'s New Mini Pro III?

I just checked out Lambda's DC/DC converter (the $9 one), looks nice. (I couldn't find the MiniPro III)
The biggest difference between these is the output current, but if you compare a BB500 then that difference goes away. That leaves size and cost. (The combo with the QWOH looks quite hard to resist) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as regulation goes the Lambda site reads "Although not truly regulated, the DC/DC boost converter did produce fairly flat light output over the life of the batteries." And the graph shows a pretty flat output.
The BB400 is a current regulated design and should be quite flat, but I'm not sure you'ld notice much difference between the two discharge curves in actual use. There is a difference in drive currents - 400mA vs 550mA. Also the diameters are different, if thats an issue for your application. The Lambda states it will work with a 1.2V NiMh, the BB400 minimum is 1.6V. I'm not sure how close the two are in efficency, but my guess is they are close.

Not trying to sway you either way, cause I think you'll be satisfied with either one.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Err.. I thought the Lambda was current regulated. Since it's not and I have a XM3 on order, I'll go for a BB400 or 500

Crux

Newly Enlightened

The MiniProIII might be regulated. I didn't find it at the website. The reference I stated is for the $9 DC/DC converter board. This may not be the same driver as is in the MiniProIII.

Sorry for the confusion.

Krit

Enlightened

BB400 cannot run at 1 NiMH AA cell but new Lambda pill can do that. The current of Lambda MiniPro Light Engine comeout more than 600 mA with cool temp operated. The rumtime chart of minipro is seem to be longer than BB400 too.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since I'm in no rush and I want a mini mini mag........
I'll go with the lambda. Current regulation is a real seller for me and I use NiMhs, so run time is not a concern

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I don't know anything about the BB3W. But the Lambda pill is so cool because it puts the High Dome up there where a Minim*g reflector can focus NICELY!

If Wayne has that feature, it should be a pretty great drop in too! But I don't know that things are such...

Krit

Enlightened

I use mini pro with 2 NiMH with a nice bright.

The MM+ will suit for 1AA alkaline in cut minimag and also use 1 li-ion AA cell with a plenty of light from LuxIII

If I put BB400 in cut minimag I will only use 1 li-ion only.
0630-12.jpg

Leeoniya

Enlightened

i put a Fraen LP on top of my bb400, focus is identical to ARC LSHF-P... cause they use the same optics. sort of a no-brainer. nice hotspot, sort of suqrish, not too much though. not too much sidespill, but it has a very small diameter. if you want sidespill and a good hotspot i recommend Elektrolumens 30mm optics. but it'll be almost a 70% increase in diameter. SO17XA might be a good option as well.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Badboy 400 Lux III or Lamda\'s New Mini Pro III

Mini Pro III, it comes complete with reflector and a glass lens it is also a three watter.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait, one more question. I cannot find where it says that the Minipro is current regulated @ 600ma.

Krit

Enlightened

My first stage of minipro regulated 600-650 mA with 2 NiMH. I didn't test runtime because I often charged battery after 4 or 5 days. Didn't leave battery low.

I donn't know the last evaluation batch of minipro. How many change and fix were taken and how much current come out. I try to get the new batch version too.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. I already have a voltage (semi regulated) XM3 coming, so I'm hoping for a real (current) regulated pill

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

The question should be Lamda Mini Pro or Nexgen?

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the Lambda $9 Dc-Dc really as efficient as the BB?

I have a SMD+ that I presume is similar and it seems much less efficient, but I can't really tell, and searches for tech info on it on here haven't netted me much.

Latest posts