Who makes a good subsitute for ARC AAA or AA?

Trebor1415

Newly Enlightened
I want a light as close to the old ARC AAA (or AA for second choice) as possible. I'm not up on all the current manufacturers and lights, so any suggetions are welcome.

I liked the ARC for the size, shape and the light output for the size. I don't want one that uses 123 batts.

Thanks,

Rob

Niteowl

Enlightened
Gotta like that Ulra-G!

It seems Peak will be introducing the Arc style body into the AAA line.
The head will remain Peak's style without knurling. I've got two bare aluminum, and one brass prototype with said body, but Arc style head. Very nice for $15! Not bright as the Arc's, but quite useful.

The "snow" LED has a nice smooth beam. You can specify output, standard, high, or ultra-high which should be very close to the Arc.

Checkout Peak Q&A.

Mark

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA: Ultra-G or plain Ultra
AAA: Sonic-G or plain Sonic

Inexpensive, easy to get, work fine.

doubleganger

Enlightened
I really like my Ultra-G. Nice broad beam. I just bought 2 sonic-G's and hated them and returned them because they were way too focused for a close up light with no spill at all unlike the arc aaa which has a nice broad beam for close up. I wonder if that's just a function of the sonic-g having the led recessed in such a small hole it was like the light was coming through a drinking straw.

Boris

Newly Enlightened
I Liked the Peak Leds. I bought an AAA 5 Leds HP (Snow), and i must say, it's wonderfull. i also have an Ultra-G. wich has a wider beam, but the PL it's lighter, and more powerfull, and it looks Whiter (Snow Version). also the finishing is excelent.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done side-by-side beam shots comparing these to other flashlights including the Arcs and the currently available other lights? I've been out of touch for months, just came back, learned about Arc (ack!) and am starting over figuring out what's good.

cy

Flashaholic
trebor, why not get the real thing. There are 10k+ ARC AAA & AA's out there. don't know what the future will bring, but there are plenty of mint ARC AAA and AA on B/S/T for now.

I've got a mint ARC AA or mint HA blk ARC AAA w/grey head. $50ea shipped usps conus, insurance is extra. Please PM

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do some searching. I believe there have been posts with pictures comparing the Peak and Arc beams.

cy

Flashaholic
IMHO no one currently makes a light equal to ARC AAA. Peak comes the closest. For single led version, ARC wins hands down for brightness and runtime.

The infinity ultra G model has always been a functional equal to ARC AA, but is not made nearly as nice.

ARC AAA never has been the brightest or longest runtime, smallest, best HA finish etc.

But it hits the best compromise of all of the above and does all of the above well.

Something else will eventually come out better, but until then ARC AAA is in a class on it's own.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Once Peak manages to make his lights as small as the Arc AAA while still being able to attach them to keychains, he'll have me sold. Until then, your best size to performance ratio light and the best value for your money is the CMG-Ultra G AA light from countrycomm.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still wondering why Peak makes their lights so unnecessary long. True, should ask that to SF too, anyone seen the L2?
Peak make that "prototype" bodies that are very similar to Arc-AAA, but I would see a production light made as short as possible. Hope will be time for shopping soon. May be Peak will find a good european dealer, to avoid the hassle of international shipping.
Here to watch. Hi, MJ...

Anthony

NoShadow

Enlightened
I really like the Ultra-G's also. It is the one I grab at night for just navigating around the house and looking in on the sleepers from time to time. Great light.

SolarPowered

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Once Peak... he'll have me sold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be "she". Actually, two "shes". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif