How do you store and protect your flashlights?

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Hello,

First off I want to thank everyone here for all the information and help you've given me. I went from owning a couple maglites to throwing them away for better lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

With some flashlights costing so much, how do you protect your investment?

I use Pelican cases with pick n pluck foam to cutout room for each light. But with some pelican cases costing $100, I wanted to explore alternative methods for storing them.

Thanks!

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Took a few pictures. I wanted a cheaper alternative to Pelican cases. I have 6 cases total but I have more flashlights than cases. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

Here is an example of a Pelican 1400:
Pelican 1400.JPG

Pelican 1500:
Pelican 1500.JPG

Good for travel too, the look on the TSA guard's faces: Priceless
3 Pelican.JPG

Thanks

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's pretty impressive. Nice collection.

For me, lights ("extras") that are not set out for everyday use, remain in their original boxes/packaging. The rest I have lying wherever I think I might use them. Even the x990 and SF M6 are situated on a bookshelf, ready for quick access.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I buy in 2s at least, one to store (in boxes in a gun safe) and one to use (stored in pelican cases). I didn't like keeping it in the original packaging because I switch lights so often.

I've seen an aluminum briefcase with pick n pluck foam at Ritz camera. Much cheaper at around $45. There's gotta be more knockoffs, I just can't find any... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Awsome setup! Thanks for sharing that. Do you find that they hit each other and scratch/chip if the bag is abused?

That's a good idea. I'm really trying to cut the cost. A large pelican case cost near $100....that could be another light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There may be cheaper alternatives but they may be of lesser quality & not protect as well or last as long. I suggest you cut the foam closer & leave a little less space between flashlights, that way you could probably fit a couple more in at least. Smaller shorter lights like the Arcs could also probably go in vertically instead too but you'd lose the 'display' factor though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont "protect" my lights - my SF6P is in a pouch on my duty rig - LB micra in a pouch, SF L4 - lives in a pouch on my hip, same with my X5, Pila GX3 lives either on My belt or beside my bed - everything else lives in a large cardboard box that doubles as a bedside table - i will post photos when i get home

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, been there done that. My Pelican cases, both of 'em, are sitting empty and all my nice lights are back out on the top of my bookcase where I can lay my hands on them anytime in an instant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Flashdark

Enlightened
HistoryChannel,

There are $15-20 alternatives that are almost identical that can be had at "Lowe's" or "Tractor Supply" stores. I have several and am very pleased with them.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Mine mostly all get dusty. They stand on their heads here there and everywhere. Atop the dresser, chest-of-drawers, desk etc.

I don't have anything all that super special anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main concern with mines is the lens. I keep my xpg in its own case lens down in my book bag and my blinkmann xl is in a pocket with my cell phone.