Reflectors Revisited

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been very pleased with the minimag reflector/high dome combo.

I discovered the versatility this week when working on plumbing, then on some electrical work

when working on the plumbing, i needed the power of my BB400/lux3/minimag reflector to check for leaks in the ambient light of my basement. worked wonderful. the incredibly bright and smooth beam allowed my to easily confirm a solid connection.

i later started running a new circuit for a new 110 outlet inmy kitchen. when inside the cabinet, the BB400 was used..but it was too darn bright! i would come out of the cabinet essentially blinded.

so i decided to remove the minimag head to allow a flood, and discovered something: if you unscrew the minimag head quite a bit (but not all the way off), you get a broad, completely artifact free flood of light (later measured at ~10 lux at i meter), which was perfect in the dark cabinet.

this "setting" is also fantastic for navigating the house at night.

however, i do have one problem: while modifying the MM reflector, i discovered that the minimag head will not allow the reflector to seat far enough over the LED to provide a fully optimized spot.
currently, it is VERY close, but still needs to be able to move toward the LED by ~1mm or so.

in this (less than optimal) configuration, the reflector makes ~520 lux (compared to ~420 for the NX05).

when i remove the MM head, and manually seat the reflector over the LED, the spot tightens, and produces >630 lux!

this is remarkable to me: just going from the NX05 to the MM reflector, the lux readings increase by 50%, which is very noticeable when trying to attain some throw outside.
yet, there is still a big beautiful spill.

so, 2 questions:

is there an easy solution to get the reflector closer to the LED?

does the SO17XA (?) seat closer to the LED, and is the beam-shape/output similar to the mag reflector?

thanks,
Bob

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the SO17XA reflector with my BB400. It's a low-dome Luxeon, however, so it cannot focus to a tight spot the way that a high-dome would. The beam that I get has a hotspot that is maybe a little dimmer than what the NX05 gives, with a smaller hotspot diameter and a much wider sidespill. I find it useful for indoor/closeup work.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That is what makes the Lambda Pill so great!

If he ever hits production that can HOPE to meet demand... it's going to be the Minim*g drop in to beat!

BUT! In the meantime, I have a Madmax with a Low Dome, that if I hold a minim*g reflector over, makes a NICE beam.

But the modded reflector won't get within 2-3MM when in the MM head. Tell me more about the SO17X!!!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SO17XA is perfect for the mini mags. I use the older style with the full skirt which facilitates the use of an o-ring to hold it in place. Although the modified mini mag reflector will give you more throw, the SO17XA reflector is fool proof and does give a BEAUTIFUL beam.