Surefire L4 or Surefire L2?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I want one, but CAN NOT decide. A surefire L2 or an L4. This is just for a pocket/tactical carry light. (i am a big guy, i have big pockets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

It may be used in a tactical manner at some point, in conjunction with a handgun. But 99.9% of the time, it will be "the light i have on me at all times."

Thank you guys, your input and help are greatly appreciated.

SS

Size15's

Flashaholic
No, and a good thing too in my opinion. SureFire's Two-Stage push button pressure switch one of the L2's most important features.
It means I don't have to lock it out when I EDC it in my pocket.

Al

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is smaller and better for pocket carry.

However....the L2 is regulated on low mode, and gives you 6-7 hours of nearly constant 15 lumens....very useful. The L4 (even with the hi/lo aftermarket switch) is NOT regulated on low mode.

In the end, get the one you need more right now. Eventually, get both.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My feeling is that for threat search and ID, brighter is better. Isn't the L2 brighter than the L4? If the choice is between those two, and you can carry the bigger light--L2, go with it.

If I may make another suggestion--consider a light with better throw than either L2 or L4. Some possibilities are the E2e, the E2e with new KL1 head, G2, C2, Streamlight Strion, M2 or C3 if the larger size isn't a problem. Throw extends the distance at which you can ID the threat, especially important for gun use. It also blitzes the target's night vision more effectively.

Here is how many tactical scenarios play out: You hear something outside your house at night, maybe your dogs are going nuts. You grab a weapon and flashlight. With ambient light, you see your yard is clear, but you hear something under your camper shell on the side of your house. You circle around with your flashlight until you see somebody under the camper shell. With the light hitting the person in the face, you can tell it isn't a neighbor's kid. The person can't see you through the beam. He doesn't know what weapon you are holding--a claw hammer. You tell your wife to call the cops. They come and arrest him. It takes you three hours to fall asleep you are so amped up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
StainlessSteel,

I myself posted on a thread on this topic before. The link for the thread for that is listed below...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=706151&page=16&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

As for me, I have an E2e, and I just bought an L4 which I think is awesome. Mind you, I might have gone for the L2, and still might some day, but I liked the look and size of the L4 better, so I went that route. And eventually I might buy the McGizmo E2S tailcap.

Hope that helps,
John

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:
L4 plus Mcgizmo's 2 stage tailcap makes for a smaller package. Check out the Mcgizmo forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why pay $50 for something the L2 already has?

sithjedi333

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
E__WOK said:
[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:
L4 plus Mcgizmo's 2 stage tailcap makes for a smaller package. Check out the Mcgizmo forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... did you read what I wrote? It's shorter (by about an inch). Also you can use Pilas, and the Mc2S allows a cigar grip and beltclip/lanyard/mounting options. If you don't care about these features, by all means get the L2. $50 would go a long way towards the next light.

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:
[ QUOTE ]
E__WOK said:
[ QUOTE ]
sithjedi333 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... did you read what I wrote? It's shorter (by about an inch). Also you can use Pilas, and the Mc2S allows a cigar grip and beltclip/lanyard/mounting options. If you don't care about these features, by all means get the L2. $50 would go a long way towards the next light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pilas-why?
cigar grip--I can do that with the L2
beltclip, lanyard--has one
mounting options--don't care nor do I have a need.

Sure the Mcgizmo mod is smaller, but I use to carry a 9P and 8X without the size bothering me.

I have yet to see an L4 with a better beam than the L2.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
StainlessSteel,
Since you are a big guy and have big pockets, I suggest you get the L2 instead of the L4. My reason is simple. The L2 gives you a lower level of light that is very usful and probably all you will need in most cases. In fact is is likely more light than you will need in many instances. You will also have the high level which puts out more light than the L4. I don't do tactical but from what I can gather, neither of these lights are considered by most to have enough punch to be regarded as a "great" selection for tactical.

You have been given some suggestions for other alternatives that go beyond the scope of your question and we even now have a better feel for E-Wok's need's and preferences! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main thing, E___Wok, is mostly that Pila 160s cells are rechargeable and have their own overdischarge protection, which means the L4 can have 'guilt free' lumens, unlike the narrower L2. The shrouded switch on the Mc2ES allows for an easier cigar-grip than the exposed switch of the L2 due to the shroud's nature, along with the groove that it provides.

Personally, I find the Mc2ES rather useful, as far as the swinging cell-phone style beltclip goes (never gets caught on things to the point that it STAYS caught), though everyone's needs and preferences differ.

Personally, I'd carry an Aleph if I didn't need to worry about holding it up against a handgun, but that's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you want a low-level light with good regulation and don't worry much about money spent on batteries, the L2 will do just fine - and with the low-level light, you're likely to get quite a bit of runtime at the 15 lumen level.

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
E__WOK said:

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one main advantage of McE2S - you can customize exactly how bright you want the low settings to be. From just a slightly dimmer light for extended run time, to a very low output light to preserve night vision and ultra-long life.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
shannow said:
Is the L2 a lux5 or lux3?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the 5 watt Luxeon V.

oldgrandpajack

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
shannow said:
thx jack
What is the rated life span of the L2 lux5?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, you got me on that one.

oldgrandpajack

KDC

Newly Enlightened
I have both, and would suggest the L2 as the better first choice.
The high beam of the L2 is very similar to the L4, and it has that very useful
low power feature to extend battery life. In dark conditions, the low power
is almost always all that is needed; and the bright level is always there.
The L4 does have the advantage of a smaller size, and the more convenient clickie
switch, and it can take rechargable batteries (about $97 for a rechargable
battery set-up). However, if you can take the extra inch of length, and don't
need the clickie switch, the L2 is a better and more versatile EDC.