Energizer lithium in the Infinity?

Spork

Enlightened
I was at walmart and picked up a 4 pack of lithium aa by energizer. I noticed the negative side is pretty much flat unlike duracells or rayovac. Does this cause a connection problem for the infinity? I thought I read somewhere that these types of batteries shouldnt be used because of that. With all the new lights my infinity doesn't get used much so I thought it would be good for a long running emergency light in the car.

Chris

Brock

Flashaholic
The lithiums work great in the infinity. They make it a bit brighter and quite a bit lighter, and the lithiums won't be affected as much by heat or cold and you get the 10 year shelf life. A win-win, except for the price.

Spork

Enlightened
yes I think that was the page I first read about it. after looking at them more they aren't completely flat. Brock are the energizers what you use in your infinity? ever had any problems with contact? I'm going to clean the contacts on my infinity before I put it out there. Will rubbing alchohol hurt anything?

Chris

Brock

Flashaholic
Lately I have been running the 3v lithium SAFT battery. It is much brighter, even a bit brighter then the Arc AAA. I have never had a problem running the regular lithiums in them though. I just use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Lately I have been running the 3v lithium SAFT battery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch!! I don't know how much those things cost on the east coast, but around here they're more than $10 apiece. I have a few lying around, so maybe I'll try one and see what happens. It's not like I have a whole line of flashlights waiting to use that kind of battery, so using up one isn't going to kill me.
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I just happened to get a couple of them so I thought, what the heck. I would use and ARC AAA before I went out and bought more 3v AA though, I am just playing with it
wink.gif

duffahtolla

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the face of the bottom of the battery tube can be made ever so slightly convex to accommidate these lithiums.

My CMG has an Energizer lithium. Might explain why it acts flakey sometimes.

These SAFT things are Intersting..

Wouldn't the higher voltage hurt the converter or is it okay?

For that matter what about the "New Beam".. Would two of the SAFT's over do it? It is a booster, no? What happens to a booster when you over voltage it?
shocked.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an informal axiom that I use when it comes to pushing xtra voltage thru "step-ups" (Arc-Infinity-Opalec) etc.

Simply put: input voltage should never exceed what you know is the normal operating voltage of just the LED itself. (without the step-up).

For example: Brock uses that Saft 3v. successfully becos that 3v. doesn't exceed the normal voltage of his LED in the Infinity.(if it's a White one), in this case. Normal voltage for that LED=3.6-4.5v-depending on battery size.

All the step-up converters I've xperimented with seem to regulate the upper part of the voltage range-within limits, but do NOT seem to regulate the current.

For a high-tech explanation of that phenomena, Mr.Al, Duggg, Jeff1500 et.al. can give you the technical lowdown:p

Brock

Flashaholic
I would never put a 3v SAFT in the Opalec Newbeam because it would cost more then a Surefire to run. The light can run on the cheapest alkaline's or NiMH's (what I like to use) and there is no difference. The longest runtime on the Newbeam would probably be on lithium AA's, maybe 10.5 or 11 hours. For the cost a regular Duracell alkaline ran 9.5, MUCH cheaper to run. I haven't done a runtime test with the Newbeam and Ni-MH's, yet...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I would never put a 3v SAFT in the Opalec Newbeam because it would cost more then a Surefire to run. The light can run on the cheapest alkaline's or NiMH's (what I like to use) and there is no difference. The longest runtime on the Newbeam would probably be on lithium AA's, maybe 10.5 or 11 hours. For the cost a regular Duracell alkaline ran 9.5, MUCH cheaper to run. I haven't done a runtime test with the Newbeam and Ni-MH's, yet...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do understand that no one was suggesting using Saft 3 volt cells in something like the Opalec, don't you? (The Opalec was only mentioned because it happens to use a "step-up")
smile.gif

For instance: it would be my bet that you wouldn't destroy an Opalec by running it on 3.6v input total (like 3 smaller Ncd/Nimh. That's what I was trying to get across.....

Brock

Flashaholic
AHHHHHHHHH, thanks for clearing that up, you know I get confused easily
wink.gif
now I get it. Yup 3 cells would be just fine.