Xenon PR base lamp in Garrity flashlight

Gandalf

Enlightened
As I always do when I go to Walmart, I checked out the flashlights. One caught my eye: a 2 D-cell light made out of stainless steel, made by Garrity (not exactly a top brand, in my book..). But what really caught my attention was the note that the light uses a *xenon* lamp.
shocked.gif
It appears to be a standard PR base lamp. And, the light comes with a spare lamp, too. I didn't buy the light, as I've exceeded my budget for flashlights for about the next 3 months.
blush.gif
Actually, I wish I had bought it; it was only $12. So, has anyone seen this light, and does the xenon lamp put out better light than the old stand-by HPR-52 halogen lamp for 2 D cells? It looks promising, especially if Garrity stocks and sells the lamps, at a decent price.
wink.gif
grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it's the Philips xenon bulb. The same can be found in the Coleman 4AA floating lanter/flashlight and the Panasonic plastic flashlight.

If that's the case the Garrity would be a nice light.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gandalf - you wrote "So, has anyone seen this light, and does the xenon lamp put out better light than the old stand-by HPR-52 halogen lamp for 2 D cells?"

I didn´t saw this light but had the luck finding some of the HPX20s in other flashlights and exchanged the HPR52s in my 2D Mags with it - actually I would say light output is very similar - but I kept the HPX20 in it as the beam was much more even than with the Halogen.

Actually my "by eye" comparison would make sense IMO - the HPR52 is rated at 34lm/2.8V - the HPX20 at 26lm/2.4V - given that I drive them with 2 NiCds (no real difference shortly testing with Alkalines either) at approx 2.4V under load the HPX is underdriven to around the same output (or less) as well - just my 2 cents.

Klaus

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one this weekend to try out. Got if for a better price than $12. I only paid $7 for mine. Don't have a clue how they can make a 2D light out of SS that must weigh a couple of pounds for $7. If you need a really HD 2D utility light with an OK output, It's more than worth the money. The Xenon bulbs (there is a spare) didn't live up to my expection. For brightness, it was something less than my E1. As far as white light, half way between a krypton & a SF. Well worth the $ if you need that type of light. May have been worth trying different bulbs in. TX