elektrolumen XM3 2AA, other luxeon AA tacticals?

yetiyeti

Newly Enlightened
Just found out a tactical flashlight from elektrolumen XM3 which has a current booster?, and works on 2AA's- web page, what do you think about it. Are there any other tactical luxeon led, AA powered flashlights apart from inova x1(is that a tactical), are gerber's LX 1.0 and 3.0 considered tactical? I'd like a sturdy, powerful every day light, for home chores(like fixing a pipe), emergency preparedness(blackout, earthuqake...) and also a light not to big to put in a fanny pack as a survival pack item. I prefer AA's since they are easily obtainable and cheaper(ok a pelican M6 led would be ok though it uses lithium), why tactical I think they must be built to take a beating and are very bright. first I was considering xenon sf g2 and sl scorpion, but now i see that the lithium batteries in those don't last long and also you have to change the bulbs often(every 20-35 hr for the sf). Price should be around 50$. I see that luxeon led's can be pretty powerfull to, how is their range?
Thanks

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Re: elektrolumen XM3 2AA, other luxeon AA tactical

the XM-3 may not be such a good option, since it is much too brigh and has much too little runtime for everyday chores. A good option is the Inova X5T, even though it uses lithiums. It has a massive runtime, so you probably won't have to change batteries often. You could get the HA-III from CountyComm. It is really durable and should easily last for what you seem to need it for. Look around at the numerous reviews. Hope this is helpful!

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Luxeons can throw very far. Depending on the light, reflector, etc, it can throw farther then other Xenon lights.

Luxeon and other LED are very rugged and don't break. OK, a hammer would do it.

From you description you need something with more of a flood beam and logn lasting off of batteries. Long lastign from batteries means it won't be as bright as other lights, to get teh longer run time. So, LED, flood, long life from batteries, and runs off AAs, preferably 2 AAs. Is that right?

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are suggestions from Bernard on another thread for a flood from AAs.

Streamlight 4AA 7LED (4 x AA)
Lightwave C4
Opalec Newbeam in MiniMag

bernhard

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

It seems to always work it's way back to sandwiches for now.

The XM3 is still Vaporware for the near future, so something in a 3w drop in for a minim*g is the current king of 2AA LUX lights.

No one has said yet whether the newest Sandwich Shoppe drop ins have a raised LED that can use a reflector properly. It APPEARS so on the website...

If this is so, a 400ma Sandwich with a high dome 3W through a modded minim*g reflector should have a pretty good beam (my Lambda at 600ma ROCKS!), and when the head is screwed off far enough, a LOVELY flood! And of course with the head all the way off, candle mode.

At 400ma, upwards of 3 hours on NimH should be easy!

I HOPE to be able to report on using an SO17 reflector with an older sammie, just as soon as I can freaking afford to buy one!

Kanai

Newly Enlightened

2AA Lux, the best bang for the buck is the Streamlight Jr Lux. $30, clickie tail switch, cheap batteries, durable, bright and white. It may not be classified as 'Tactical' but it does a pretty good job.

yetiyeti

Newly Enlightened

yes but also throw

Krit

Enlightened

Lexoen 2aa come out with many option of reflex and lens. The emitter types are also considerable for each light pattern.

Lowdome with NX05 give a nice soft light.
Highdome with NX05 give more focus longthrow and still soft side spill,
Highdome with Fraen give a big focus area but no side spill.
Highdome with reflex give a strong focus with long throw and useful side spill.

I have all type and difficult to select for use. Each one is very nice for use.I like all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yetiyeti

Newly Enlightened

I was asking if there are any 2AA powered luxeon led's to buy if you know anything about it or how to mod a mag AA into a 3w luxeon please tell me!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

See the responses above. They've stated 'Streamlight Jr Luxeon', 'Opalec Newbeam in MiniMag', sandwiches with Lux IIIs on them from the Sandwich Shoppe.

The only one of the above to be a 3W is the last - buying a sandwich assembly to drop into the Mag. You could also look at the Gerber LX 3.0, which is a 3W powered by two AA batteries.