Scorpion + Strion lamp + 168s -> success

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Not sure if anyone else has tried and reported on this, I didn't find any references, so I'm posting.

I have a SL Scorpion and wanted to run it on on LiIon. Stock lamp is a no-go of course; dim and yellow on 3.7V. I tried a 3.7V Carely lamp (724) but no joy; did not quite fit and the leads were too thin. Plus the output was surprisingly yellow.

I was excited to see that SL had a 3.6V lamp for their Strion which in the web pics I saw looked to be the same shape/size/pin config as the Scorpion lamp. I bought a couple from BrightGuy, and just received them.

It fits! Well, almost. It seems to be a very slightly tighter fit through the lamp centering gasket than with the stock bulb. It's not so tight that it gets wedged there and won't focus, like the 724 did, but it does sometimes get stuck when you try to pull out the whole lamp assembly. This has happened to me twice so far; never happened with the stock lamp. Could be bit of a nuisance, especially if you accidentally push the bulb into the reflector area trying to get hold of it, as I did.

But...

Output is bright and white (as incan goes, anyway; nothing like a Luxeon), pretty comparable to stock configuration, if not slightly brighter. Beam quality is same as the stock lamp. I'm not sure about color temperature vs. stock lamp; seems about comparable, but would need to compare side-by-side, which I can't since I only have one Scorpion.

I've not done a runtime test, but it's probably simple math; 1400mAh, 1.67A...

I'm calling this a success, and a super-easy mod.

If you're already into Pila rechargeables, definitely get a Scorpion and a couple Strion lamps.

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Ugh, I posted this thread in the wrong forum... Someone please move it... thanks. I am *not* selling these. Sorry about that.

Krit

Enlightened
I have strion and E2D, A2.

Strion is give long throw than both A2 and E2D. But A2 and E2D give more nice side spill and suitable for any use.

My stion is not yellow-white as A2, it is orange-white.

Thanks for nice idea, I have a spare bulb sterion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
2312-20.jpg

RY3

Enlightened
Great info.
I got to try it sometime. The only concern I have is that I have to remember to change bulb when switching between Pila and 123 batteries.

BTW, Tony did post this type of mod before in here but he used the stinger's bulb.

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Oh, interesting. I didn't think of the Stinger. I searched for Strion only. If the Stinger bulb is rated for 3.7V, it won't be as white as the Strion bulb which I believe is for 3.6V, and designed for LiIon.