im here on linux with no hardrive or cdrom

raggie33

*the raggedier*
no hardrive is on this pc or even a cd rom,useing puppy linux man its a cool distro

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Linux is so neat. Puppy Linux runs 100% off of RAM. As the site says, it will run programs in the blink of an eye and respong instantaneously to the user. Thats really neat. Many ways to load it: CD, Zip, Set of Floppys, Flash RAM... Thats insanely kewl. I should try that distro! Very simple, and could easily load it onto school machines...which are running at 2.4GHz and are sickeningly slow to use. Full of spyware and virus's and no one cares. I hate those machines!

Cameron

[edit]looks like the entire OS weighs in at a whopping 49MB, incredible[/edit]

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah it is very cool indeed im running it off a keychain flash drive that goes on keychain very small,im thinking a makeing a computer that will hang on wall basicaly just the mobo vido card cpu memeory sound card and power supply no harddrive or cdrom. whats so wierd is puppy has so many apps its insane cd ripers dvd burners wordd proceserd hect it has more then windows it seems

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats so kewl. That would be very fun to play with. Linux is so stable that you could potentially start it up, install that, and not have to reinstall it for weeks as long as you keep it on. I know someone with Gentoo and he hasnt had to restart his computer in 25 days by now. Thats something no Windows OS can do at someones home. Maybe a server, but no home PC like his. I have one Windows machine, but also one Linux machine that is waiting to get fired up once I get my desk that I am building done. That way I can have both machines on the same desk. I am sure I will begin using the Linux machine 90% of the time. And someday, I will get rid of this Windows machine and install Linux on it too... Someday...

Cameron

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it is like 50 megs but it expanded to like 110 after install but i had to download some stuff.lol i have it running on this.motherboard this mobo comes with everything on it videocard,soundcard. ehternet card>,, modem,,usb2.and cpu.but man it is so slow lol,i built it for someone.but i aint sure ill kkep this mobo in it, but cant beat price 84 bucks

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o ps it has a cool gui.o and pps there are linux distros like 2 megs lol

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I have Knoppix running on this old junk 433mhz celeron that I got from the dumpster for around a month now, it's incredibly stable...especially consider the CPU fun was dead and I am using an USB fan for cooling lol

Negeltu

Enlightened
Actually bobisculous... I've left my pc on for over a month before without any troubles. People can be very careless how they manage their systems. Running Windows XP.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use puppy,dammsmall, and knoppix often.
i seem to infect everyone i meet by handing out knoppix cd's to folks with hosed winboxes.boot from cd,start k3b, find your important files and burn them to cd.
btw if a system can boot and run knoppix the hardware is in good shape.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is NOT to start a windows vs. Linux argument but I run windows 2k on my work machine (Just a P3, not a server) and I have gone months without rebooting. BUT, I generally run a few set applications and very rarely install new software. I have resisted attempts to upgrade to XP professional because win2k does me fine. I think a lot of problems with home pcs is that people tend to install and uninstall programs in a frequent manner and this greatly increases compatitbility issues.

Now back to subject, I think I will investigate one of these ramdrive or cddrive versions of linux for my home pc because I get bored with everything else.

[ QUOTE ]
bobisculous said:
I know someone with Gentoo and he hasnt had to restart his computer in 25 days by now. Thats something no Windows OS can do at someones home. Maybe a server, but no home PC like his.
Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run BSD or Linux for everything now. (Or a little BSD variant called Mac OS X /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) My linux mail server is at 108 days uptime, my house server which is a horribly underpowered old Mac powerbook only has 94 days of uptime. All in all I'm very happy with these alternative OS's. I'm very hard on my computers. Often running solutions I've thrown together myself, which always keeps it exciting...

Did everybody catch the Portable Virtual Privacy Machine that slashdot linked to yesterday? It's a virtual machine and tiny linux distro that you can put on a USB thumb drive and take anywhere you go. Pop it into a library computer and it brings up it's own environment and makes a VPN connection so that all your communications to the internet are encrypted. They then also have installed their own email and web browser on it so that you don't have to worry about the library machine keeping your cookies or passwords or anything like that. I really like the idea! Thats related I guess to the discussion of very tiny linux distros.

Pre OSX versions of MacOS used to be able to run completely from memory as well. You could setup a ram drive, copy the system to it and actually reboot the machine from the ram drive! Then spin down the hard disk and you had a silent computer. This was pretty common among Home Automation enthusiasts (of which I am one) while mine never made it, I know people who's machines ran in excess of 2 years between reboots while running everything necessary to control their lights that way!

I thought that was pretty neat.

[edit to fix link]

Zigzago

Enlightened
I've tried a lot of the Linux "live CDs" in the last year. It's amazing how well they work. So far my favorite is Mepis.

I think my next computer will be a dual boot if I can find a Linux distro that can detect the USB wireless DSL link that I use at home.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Hmmm....

This computer (work - Dads house - personal use for Dad - email for Dad and Sister) is a Windows XP Home based semi nightmare.

AVG says it has some virus bits, or at least malignant spyware that won't go away when I run a complete AVG scan.

We run Quickbooks as our main business software.

Is there a Linux solution for me?

It MUST remain easy to use for Dad and Sister. I can adapt pretty easy.

All you Linux freaks, tell me more!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
joe there are plenty they may not have quick book suport but they will probaly have some open source alternative a new linux distro is realsed like every few days

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run both Knoppix and Mepis on my machine. I lean more towards liking Mepis as a live cd. Might have to fiddle around with Puppy, I like the ramdisk feature.

Knoppix has a built in feature to save your configuration files to either a persistant home directory or a floppy disk . That way, you could go to a friends house and use your setup without ever touching their system. Many possibilities with that option.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently working on a project trying to put Linux on an embedded system. From reading, I got that Puppy, Knoppix and Mepis but will any of them run off this these configuration?

System config #1
166Mhz, 32M RAM, 20M Disk-On-Chip

System config #2
400Mhz, 64M RAM, 64M Compact Flash.

And more importantly realtime response of <10ms and Java support?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
puppy probaly wont. id also go with a distro that uses a gui thats no kde or the other big gui i forget name

Latest posts