LED colours

PYKE

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a Surefire A2 Aviator....the only question is which colour LEDs. Does anyone know what each colour is for? I heard the blue was for hunters because it facilitates finding a trail of blood...Anyone have the oportunity to see them all? Which colour looks best?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Flashlightreviews: [ QUOTE ]
White: General all around best color for our vision. Give excellent color recognition. All the rest can be considered "special purpose" lights and do not allow color recognition at all. Essentially using any of the colors below is the same as seeing things in "black and white".

Red: Night vision preservation at low lighting levels. More info here.

Amber: Focuses well in the eye and is usually a very "comfortable" monochromatic light to use

Green: Doesn't cause military night vision equipment to overload or "bloom" when used. Does NOT preserve normal human night vision despite reports otherwise.

Blue: Good for hunters following the blood trail of wounded game. The blood shows up as solid black in this light.

Cyan: Brightest of the monochromatic colors. Some people just like the look of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally would choose either white (as low level all purpose light) or red (for night vision). Depends on what you want to use the light for.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
White will be the most versatile. If you want a night- vision light, you may well want something dimmer and/or dimmable anyway.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about this the other day. I picked white for my A2, and I've been happy so far, but I was wondering if there are filters that you can put on the bezel or something, so that you could use whatever color you wanted. .

Latest posts