Upgrading a 6 C-cell maglite

BillB

Newly Enlightened
While I love all of the new small LED lights, and own several SF's, I still like the idea of carrying a 6 C-cell maglite in my car while driving. I find this is the perfect size and weight for self defense..sort of like carrying both a baseball bat and a flashlight!

Are there ways to improve this light in terms of output? Is there an LED option that will give me a similar throw?

I would prefer a pre-fabbed or drop-in upgrade instead of just a list of parts if possible. Does anyone make anything interesting?

Mark2

Enlightened
If you're still using the stock Krypton bulb, you could upgrade to the Xenon bulb from Mag. As for LED options, there is none that will give you as much output as the 6-cell Mag Xenon bulb.

Mattman

Enlightened
You can use a Radio Shack KPR112 bulb for a little added brightness - it'll also be the cheapest upgrade you can do.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much work do you want?

You can make it a 10 cell Welch Allyn 1185 using 9 NiMh or NiCad 1/2 D's. (That is 2 of the MagCharger packs.) Your pushing 700 plus lumens out the front. You would also need to upgrade to an aluminum reflector. But your talking like 6 times the light output!

Bill

Mark2

Enlightened
ABTOMAT: BillB asked about upgrades that will give similar throw, so the Helios is not an option.

Xeper

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
You can make it a 10 cell Welch Allyn 1185 using 9 NiMh or NiCad 1/2 D's. (That is 2 of the MagCharger packs.) Your pushing 700 plus lumens out the front. You would also need to upgrade to an aluminum reflector. But your talking like 6 times the light output!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

This thing is still my favorite Maglite! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mag6D02.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Mattman

Enlightened
The KPR112 should be brighter than even the Xenon 6 Cell bulb. I purchased a Xenon 6 Cell bulb to test this (and in case I become unhappy with the KPR112's durability) but I have yet to put it in my 3x123 to find out. I don't use my light that much and so far the KPR112 lasts long enough for me since its only $1.38 per bulb.

Glenn

Enlightened
I purchased a Carley 928 bulb from fivemega.
It is 7.1V, 1.2A, 8.5W .

It is a BRIGHT S**.
MUCH brighter that either the Mag 6 cell Xenon Star or KPR112 !
I do not know yet about bulb/ battery life.
The reflector should take it as I read on here that it is usually Ok under 10W.

Glenn

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I was funking around waiting for my old 'puter to burn a CD.

I picked up a Kohler/BrightStar 3D that never quite floated my boat for brightness or beam quality.

I dremeled the spare bulb holder out of the tailcap, cut a piece of 1" PVC pipe 7 1/4" long, and stuffed 4C in it. That took care of brightness.

I cut a piece of Writeright (for the Palm Zire) and plastered it on the lense. Now we're talking!

Very smooth, pretty darn bright beam.

My Favorite M*g (well in the larger sizes) is a 3D with 4C NimH in it and a KPR103. OH and an Acrylite lense. It's very smooth and quite bright!

Try a 5 cell Whitestar (or Ratshak KPR112). I think you'll be pleased as long as the bulb is centered well.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our TRILIGHT/TRILIGHT-III and HELIOS adapters are designed to work in the C or D case; of course - you will get shorter run times in a C case