Rayovac Sportsman LED w/ Grip-Clip

Kirk

Enlightened
Hey All!
I saw this light at Wal-Mart yesterday for $9.97. I searched the forum for info and didn't see anything and I can't find it on the Rayovac website. Before I spend my money, does anybody have any comments/opinions about the brightness, quality, etc.? It looks to be pretty compact and runs on 3 AAAs. It claims to be waterproof and heavy-duty.
Thanks,
Kirk

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saaby:
I actually saw it yesterday (you saw it?) but didn't look at it (you didn't see it?) ....looked interesting (you saw it?)
confused5.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> TX
confused5.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I leave at 6:00 AM tomorrow

I "saw" it as in on the shelf but didn't "look" at it as in examine it. It looked interesting I guess, I don't know but I didn't take it off the shelf as I was thinking about I needed to go to cosmetics and get my nail polish to do glo-powder with
tongue.gif

That's funny though...guess I didn't realize what I was saying
smile.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saaby:
I needed to go to cosmetics and get my nail polish <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hhhmmmmmm....
smhair1.gif
(scout camp??) TX

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't think Saaby ever said that it was necessarily BOY Scout camp.
grin.gif

But then, since the ACLU got into deciding things for the Boy Scouts, you can never be sure about anything.

(Just kidding, Sabby) ;

In fact, I was in Cosmetics in Wal-Mart just two days ago and bought two bottles of nail polish for myself...

I use it for electrical insulation on mods and "scratch built" lights in tight places or where heat shrink won't fit.

Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails with NYLON" is the best I have found; it is thicker and more durable than the plain stuff.

Saaby

Flashaholic
NO no no, this was the Wet 'N' wild #401 required to "Get a great glow." Although I had to stand there for about a minute scratching my head as I wasn't sure if I needed #401 or #470, both are clear and I had left my Post-It home.

Actually, the polish won't be going to BOY scout camp...I think, maybe it will though...oh great now I've really left myself open.

I am just a new flashaholic with a tiny budget so my lighting isn't that impressive by CPF standards but it's still brighter than what most the scouts will have (Mags and $2 energizer lights...maybe a army 90 degree light or 2)

I will be taking my silver Nordic 2AA for some lighting and my Energizer Folding LED for the rest. Had I joined CPF about 2 weeks earlier I'd probably be taking an Arc AAA too but that won't make it this time around.
**EDIT** I will have my Mag solitare though, doubt it will see any daylight or moonlight though.

I have a post in The Cafe' called "Scout Camp" where I will post a report/summary of camp when I get back on the 6th. It should include pictures of not only camp (Craig maybe I can even get a pic. of a Ky-Bo) but...lites as well.

Which brings we to another thing...this is the same camp as we went to last year (See "Scout Camp" post in the Cafe) and last year we were right by the staff showers, there was a huge flood light on our camp 24hrs...very annoying!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Right...like I'd actually get one of those up there. The scout dudes have it on good authority that the fire that evacuated the camp I was supolst to go to was caused by a couple of scouts...they've become ultra safety paranoid, probably won't be able to take my batteries because they could be considered dangerous. Ok, not quite that bad but they are quite paranoid.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I actually saw it yesterday but didn't look at it or anything...looked interesting.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kirk:
Hey All!
I searched the forum for info and didn't see anything and I can't find it on the Rayovac website
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the thread I stated with my thoughts on both of Ray-o-vac's new LED lights.. It was three days before your post.
grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Saaby,
I will donate DB 4AA to your collection if you want it and it is cool with your parents. It is a pretty decent light as is, and there are all sorts of things you can do to hot rod them if you decide you want to rewire it and run different bulbs and batteries.

As for the new Rayovacs, I went nuts and bought three new lights at Walmart last night. I got one of these new little Sporstmen LED, an interesting Rayovac kids flashlight and a Dorcy Cool Metalic.

The Rayovac Sportsman LED is pretty cool for the money (and being able to get them at walmart). Loads the three AAAs in a little cartridge, has click button switch, seems pretty sturdy. The light output is ok, about as bright as my ARC but a little tighter focused. I wandered around the house and backyard with it a little late last night. Plenty of light for bedside/in house power outage use or for walking fairly civilized trails, but not much range to it.

The Kids light (don't remember the name nor do I have it with me) is kind of neat because it has three different LEDs in it; one amber, one blue/green and one red. Also runs on 3 AAAs loaded in a cartridge, but a different one from the Sportsman LED. Click button switch also, and each click changes this to a different color LED (off, amber, blue/green, red, off). The amber not too inspiring, the blue green is not bad, and the red is rather bright. the blue/green and the red LEDs are set at the upper edge of the reflector, so their beams are distorted a little. The amber is set right in the middle and produces an ok beam. I have not tried to really take it apart yet, but seems like this might be a fun cheapie to add a couple of extra LEDs to.

The Dorcy Metallics looks just like the old metal Rayovac 2 D-cell that my grandmother used to have, but is made out of brightly colored aluminum (mine is a light metallic blue that matches my truck). Same two position slider switch with a red button for momentary on. Very light duty, but for only $3.59 it was too cool to pass up. They also had some Rayovac Xenon 2.4v .8a bulbs there that brighted it up a pretty good bit and make a nice white hotspot. It has a dimpled reflector that looks a little funny but seem to work ok. Very light duty light though, so i suspect even though it matches the truck it will spend most of its time indoors.

Walmart also had a couple new LED headlamps, and this store had added a peg of Brinkmann LXs, but i figured 3 was my limit for one night (and besided, I had just ordered a Inove X5 Tactical yesterday afternoon anyway
grin.gif
)!

Danny

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'd never turn down a flashlight. My parents are ok with it but they just don't believe how generous everyone here is, what between Dana sending me some GID powder and then last night Don generously offered to send me a Arc AAA and now this! I'll eMail you my address with the same disclaimer I gave Don and Dana, jsut don't come kidnap me because then my parents wouldn't let me post here anymore
grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL fair enough! I will send it out to you tomorrow.

As far as the generous, I remember MANY a broke summer in middle school and high school bumming money and mowing grass and doing anything i could to come up with cash for music and pocketknives and books. My parents would not let me work AT ALL before my senior year! Thank God that I had not been bitten by the flashlight bug back then, or I really would have been miserable!!!

I scored a bunch of Dorcy Cool Blues earlier on clearance for $4.49 each, so I will throw one of those in for you as well. They are ok as they are, and run forever with 4AAs and the LED bulb, but I like to swap the stock LED bulb out for a xenon bulb (running a 3.8v .85A bulb right now) or a regular 4 cell maglite krypton bulb and replace one of the AAs with 2 N cells slightly flattened on the ends. ALMOST as bright as my Surefire E2 like that, but much cheaper to run and 100% waterproof.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Run away...now there's an idea, run away to somewhere dark to play with all these flashlights
grin.gif

Now, I don't know why I am saying this HERE because, oh well...

I was playing with my Brinkmann Rebel some more last night, walking around the house and stuff, and at night when you don't have flouressent lights on (Arguable the whitest lights in most people's hosue) the blue hot spot is much less noticeable.

Latest posts