Does anybody use AT&T Wireless?

K A

Enlightened
I was poking around at various cell phone websites tonight and might settle on a Sony Ericsson T637 phone from AT&T Wireless. This isn't a flip phone.. I don't know what it is about flip phones but just looking at them I feel like I might break them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any opionions on AT&T and the phone?

I was looking at a $29.99 GSM America Local 250 anytime minute/month plan + $5/month complete insurance coverage. The phone costs $269.99 (Retail Price) but has a $190.00 instant rebate on it so final price of $79.99. The Instant rebate requiring a Credit Card and online activation. They also have an online $50 off device and accessories thing which would further decrease the price of the phone to $29.99.

Samoan

Enlightened
In terms of service it really depends on coverage and where you're going to use the phone. I have Sprint. It's great for me. It works everywhere *I* need it to work. The only place it consistently can't find a signal is out at a buddy's place. Of course I don't live at his place so that's fine with me. Around here AT&T is considered the best overall service. However, my boss just moved and his AT&T phone doesn't work at his new house...this *is* a problem. Ask around in your neighborhood and where you work to seee if any particualr company has better service then pick your phone according to your needs, not whiz bang quotient.

-F

Topper

Flashaholic*
I use AT&T, I tried a couple others in the past, so far I am happy with AT&T they have never over charged me; tried to cheat me on minutes or fake calls, the other ones did.
I do not think Sprint is in my area yet.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Starlight

Enlightened
Remember that Cingular bought out AT&T. They are supposed to combine their towers very soon, so coverage will improve for both carriers.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I use AT&T Cellular too. I got the phone in late-2002 when I was in that {vulgar term for having had intercourse}-up nursing home, and the only location where there was no signal at all was inside the elevator of that building. I get no less than two signal strength bars (out of four) everywhere else.
At least everywhere I've looked at and/or used the telephone.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the T637 (my 4th Ericsson) but I have it with Cingular.
I tried it with AT&T but where I am the Cingular signal is stronger and the phone would leave AT&T to roam onto Cingular.
The camera is only mediocre but the IR port, and the Bluetooth make it an absolute wonder for PPC users.
I can beam info back and froth from my PPC or desktop straight to the phone.
The screen is very bright and the auto screensaver and auto keylock are nice touches.
The polyphonic ringtones are nice and if I remember the AT&T version came with more of them preloaded than the Cingular model but since you can beam them back and forth as well it really isn't an issue.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I've got a Nokia 6820 on AT&T and am very satisfied thus far.

It gets service everywhere I need it to, can't say that for my old carrier Sprint.

AT&T has great deals if your company does buisness with them. Mine did so I got 50% off my phone, an extra 20% minutes per month free, and the international calling plan fee waived (normally a $3 per month charge). A rocking good deal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In some areas GSM might not have the best coverage, but around here it seems to work great/

J_Oei

Enlightened
I had a T616 on AT&T until recently.
No, I didn't change for the normal "terrible coverage"
or bad customer service or anything. My work pays for
my phone, and we recently consolidated all telephony
with Sprint. So, bottom line, I was happy with AT&T,
and with circumstances different, would still prefer it.

(But free is still better than not free!!!!)

Aloft

Enlightened
I've been an AT&T Wireless customer for 11 years! About 7 years ago I went to their "Digital One Rate" plan since I travel nationwide a lot for business. It was (and probably still is) the most expensive plan at $60/450 minutes (though originally it was $90/600 minutes). But here is the good part. . . It works just about everywhere I've travelled. . . East Coast, Southwest, West Coast. . . I even get a digital signal these days in Fairbanks, Anchorage, Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka, AK! When it comes down to whether or not the phone will work, I have NOT been disappointed very often in all these years.

Now here is the bad part. Unlike Topper above, I have had billing problems. They shorted me 150 minutes one month (thought I was on an older plan with 300 minutes), they billed me $14 one month, then sent an "overdue" on the next months bill, and several other billing mistakes. I have always managed to straighten things out with them over the phone, but be prepared to 1) Wait a long time to speak to a human as you navigate their byzantine voice mail; 2) Stand up for your rights. . . know your plan, and if your committment is up, let 'em know you'll switch if you have to, and 3) Watch your bill carefully!

BTW, my "$59.99 plan actually costs about $75 bucks thanks to various 1) Al Gore Taxes; 2) Taxes to fund the Spanish American War (we won that one, didn't we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif; and 3) various other state and local taxes.