Surefire Z57 Do they still have problems?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I remember when the Z57 clickies first came out that they were very stiff and unreliable and someone (cant remember who) modded them so that they were easier to use. My question is did Surefire get on top of this and are the ones now being sold by Surefire any better? I hope so 'cos I've just ordered one and am worried it may still have the problems I remember hearing about.

Any info would be appreciated.

Doug

Flashdark

Enlightened
dougmccoy,

I have purchased 8-10 of them over the last 9 months or so and I have very few complaints. There IS a break-in period before they click on/off a little easier - initially they are pretty stiff. I also have had 1 or 2 acitvate "on" for a fraction of a second as I rotated the tailcap to the "lockin" or "lockout" position but I understand that this is a momentary "grounding" problem that can pretty well be eliminated with silicone "Lub Gel" from Radio Shack.

In general, I am very pleased with their operation and would not hesitate to buy more as needed. If you get a "bad" one, just replace it, but I have only been tempted to do so with one. I always have several spare tailcaps of every kind needed anyway for backup or modifications.

The new Z58 clickie for the 1" bodies is even better. VERY smooth and no momentary grounding prolems experienced yet with rotation to lockin or lockout position. This is a very MINOR event anyway with a "Utility" clickie tailcap. It becomes a far more important issue with a "Tactical" twiston version.

Hope this helps.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Flashdark

Thanks for your evaluation of the Z57. I am not an LEO but when working regard reliabilty as an essential. I require a lock out function for storage in a pouch but also need the ability to quickly switch the flashlight on and off quickly if required hence why I decided to buy the Z57.
The only other clickie I own by surefire is the one I've tried on my M2. However for various reasons I went back to the twistie tailcap because I wasn't overly enamoured by it.
Your 'review' has gone a long way to reassuring me about my purchase.
Doug

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
I remember when the Z57 clickies first came out that they were very stiff and unreliable and someone (cant remember who) modded them so that they were easier to use.
Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Doug, that was me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif I've probably modded at least 100 Z57s for smoother operation.

[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
My question is did Surefire get on top of this and are the ones now being sold by Surefire any better? I hope so 'cos I've just ordered one and am worried it may still have the problems I remember hearing about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they did, and the latest revision Z57's are very nice. If you got one that requires a "break-in period", I'm sorry to say that you didn't get a good one. The latest ones work perfectly right out of the bag. Very smooth, no stiffness, and no excess electrical resistance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Peter,

Who would have imagined that you ask a question about an old problem and the very person who's name you couldn't remember would read and answer your post so quickly!

Thankyou so much. CPF has been a favourite site of mine for quite some time since I joined in November '01. I dont get the opportunity to surf it as often as I used to but it still beats any other forum I've ever been a member of and is still the best as far as I'm concerned.

I will await my Z57 with anticipation (expect I'll get it on Tuesday, post prevailing) and I'll post my comments on hear to let you know if I indeed do get a 'good un'.

Doug

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
both Z57s i have were litfused (TM) versions, and they're both buttery smooth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif they still have slight resistance variations whilst being clicked on, characteristic of most clickie switches whether surefire or not. when used with a regulated light this isn't an issue though. nice to see you around, doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Chameonos
I have been so busy with work and family that I've not had much chance to get on CPF too much. However glad to know that your still here! Guess that is one of the strengths of the CPF community.....old friends tend to stick around.

Hope to speak to you again

Doug

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Well my Z57 arrived today and it is quite stiff! I'm trying to 'loosen' it by repeated use but the little devil seems to be resisting my attempts to make it easier to operate!
I cant say I'm overly enamoured by it but I'm darned if I'll send it back and have to wait for a replacement. Anyway being stiff doesn't really classify it as faulty does it?
Sorry if I sound a little peeved but I somehow expected more.
As far as it goes it seems well built and the HA111 matches my existing E2e body perfectly.
Doug

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that you got a thumb exerciser Doug, that sucks. The mod isn't difficult to do, and it makes a night and day difference. If you don't want to attempt it yourself, I'd be happy to do one for you gratis. Send me a PM if interested.

Peter