Longbow 8210? Anyone?

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
For some reason, I can not stand the thought of using cr123s....I guess because I have stack of AA nimhs.

At any rate, I am in the market for a 1 or 2 xAA. I already own a Stream light Jr.

I have found the longbow 8210 which looks like it might fit the bill BUT I can't find a single comment about it in this forum or anywhere on the web!

Any other suggestions? I really like the "ouch I hurt my eyes" reaction from unsuspecting folks who turn it on and look at it, if that helps.

Thanks,
Bob

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I don\'t like cr123-need new flashlight

Gerber LX 3.0 - the only problem is you'll get four hours of 'bright' and then 46 hours of 'rather dim, but at least it's lighting up' light out of it. Otherwise I'd suggest reading the other 'AA light' threads already on the board. There are at least two more of them on the first two pages alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, I saw that thread after I posted. I guess I should rename my thread "what about the 8210?".

I read that light thread and it started realy quite confusing for me.

I really like the idea of rolling my own, but using the maglite as a base is not terribly thrilling. Not to mention allot of the technical stuff is a bit over my head at this point.

Does surefire make an AA? Why is surefire so expensive anyway?

Thanks,
Bob

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire doesn't make AA-powered lights, because they're not in the market for the average consumer who uses them. Their target market is the military and police agencies who need bright tactical lights that shine far and shine brightly. AA cells just do NOT provide enough power or voltage for most of those applications (1.2v per AA-cell versus 3v per CR123-cell with equal or greater capacity in a smaller package). The only light that Surefire makes that would operate on AA-cells would be the KL1, and that's with a third-party VitalGear body. Their lights are extremely bright and durable, and their lifetime warranty means you pay a premium for them. They're tough lights, and are manufactured with great care... which means that supply's always lower than demand.

The basic Micra/Micro package from Longbow reputedly has a problem with regulation - as in, it'll drain MUCH faster than it's rated for (some people have reported this with their 123 cell versions after about 30 minutes), which means you may want to look at replacing the module with a McCapsule from the Sandwich Shoppe - that'll let you mount your own choice of a Lux III on it along with a booster circuit that may be able to use the AAs. I'd talk with Don (McGizmo) here about it - he sells preassembled McCapsules for about $90 a pop, though for $125 he'll also send you a PR-T head with reflector in it to replace the standard LB head. With the PR-T, you'll get better throw.

Longbow

Enlightened

Very few instances of regulator failure have been repoted; all were warranteed. Run time is shorter than advertized by about 13 to 15 minutes. This results in a brighter light, which also causes the flashight to become noticeably warmer to the touch, (not hot). Anyhow It is covered by warrantee.

The McCapsule will give you 5 to 8 feet more throw, but also much less run time...uumh $90 bucks?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

The problems aren't insurmountable - replace the Micra or Micro capsule, and that part's handled - add a SOX17A reflector and UCL lens for another $10 on top of that, and that'll fix most any of the flaws reported in the light.

Of course, if you don't roll your own McCapsule, then you're spending $90 on top of the cost of the LB. Better to get the LB on sale, then mod it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Personally, I rather like the semi-custom lights like Aleph for modding, and I'd just shove a reflector and UCL lens into the Micra if I wanted to improve the quality of the beam somewhat without sinking too much money into the accessories.

Longbow

Enlightened

I have the following change-outs for my Micra: 1 Fraen LP optic, 2 Micra optics , 1 SOX17A reflector, 2 plastic lens, and 1 UCL lens. My favorite combination is the UCL/Micra optic. It produces the most throw , and yet acceptable flood. The SOX17A/UCL combow has a near perfect beam pattern, but lacks throw (small reflector), and the flood is just a little better than the Micra optic/LCD cmbow. The Fraen optic/UCL combow has the best flood and about the same throw as the SOX17X/UCL combow.

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
So, from what I gather, no one has an 8210? Any reviews? The options that have pointed out seems abit over my budget.

Where does one find the vital gear AA for the KL1?
Thanks,
Bob

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened

Unregulated,
From your post it sounds as if I could get a micra/8210 and then add on parts is that correct? How hard are the parts to find?

Bob

Longbow

Enlightened

The UCL lens is $7 from www.flashlens.com, they also have the SOX17A reflector for $5. The Sandwich Shop has the Fraen LP optic for $4. The parts are easy to change, just refer to the included 8210 manual.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are a couple of good threads,
one is titled: Longbow First impression, all comments welcome

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's also the package with UCL Lens and SOX17A reflector together for the Longbow for $10. The VitalGear bodies can be found on Ebay, as a member here (jjciv) sells them - but his stock is currently depleted, and I don't know when he's getting more.