Dorcy 1watt 3 x AAA

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a Dorcy 1 watt at target for 24.99. It is as bright as my arc4+ and very nicely made , for the price at least. They had 3 on the shelf when I left. This light has a reflector, polycarbonate lens and a rather annoying strobe feature. I have no idea why they bothered with the strobe. The reflector and lens unscrew to reveal the luxeon, I think this light will make good mod fodder.
Just thought I'd let you know.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
So sad, my local Target sells only Eddie Bauer crap. No Dorcy. And to get DorcyAAA, I have to go to the farther away, local Walmart. The closer one just stopped selling them. But as I recall now, they do have just the AAAs back. I think I saw them last time I was there, huh, cant remember. Anyhow, no Dorcy 1W for me :-/.

Cameron

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I bought one of these things on Ebay earlier this year for ~$26.00.
My web page about it is right here if anybody is interested.

Here's a photograph of it, just for confirmation purposes:

dorcyls1.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
bobisculous said:
So sad, my local Target sells only Eddie Bauer crap. No Dorcy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? Target has their flashlights divided into 2 areas - the Eddie Bauer (Coast) lights are in outdoors, and the rest of their lights are typically next to automotive.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

By the way, if you can't find the Dorcy 1 watt AAA light at Target, check your local Sears. The Sears in my area also carries them.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Beware the bad beam. A friend of mine got this light last week. He was happy (non-flashaholic). I would have had to return it. The hot spot was very green-brown. In actual use it had little effect, but it looked really nasty on a white wall. The light did have nice throw and I liked the feel of the switch.

Geoff

ps56k

Enlightened
I just picked one up for our camping son. He'll get it for his upcoming birthday.. The only thing I would like, is somehow to have a lanyard for walking around camp. I was thinking of either drilling small dimples in the tailcap and put a metal loop into them...or...tie a piece of dental floss around the tailcap threads and use that as a loop for attaching a lanyard.
I also picked up the $20 UK eLED, but as others have mentioned, it is not very bright...maybe because of the plastic case and therefore lack of a good 1w heat sink.
Anyway - we'll see which flashlight he'll take camping. Right now his fav is the Dorcy 4led x 2AA...

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didnt know that. My target is really new and have gone in there 2 times. I will have a look next time I get around to going there. That place is so big. It actually seems bigger than both of the Super Walmarts around me. 40 Registers, all of which will never be used at the same time... One interesting thing about target is their credit card machines, they are like ATMs and suck your entire card into the machine and keeps it until the transaction in completed. Anyway, I will have a look next time I go there.

Cameron

danielo_d

Enlightened
I bought one as well a few weeks back at my local Target.
Love the light! Especially since it fits my budget. I got it for 24.99, too.
BTW, found that Orchard Supply Hardware [OSH] carries them also for 21 dollars plus change. Usually their flashlights are more expensive than Target, and in turn more than Wal-mart.
Well, just fyi...

Danno

capnal

Enlightened
I bought one of these, too. Not quite 2 weeks ago.
I am really happy with it. In fact, I can;t say enought good things about it. Small, good construction, uses AAA batteries, so I don't feel guilty for long uses in a single stretch. Very bright with fresh batteries.

For what it's worth, I saw this same thing being sold with the Eddie Bauer name on it at a local Eddie Bauer store. Only difference was the name and an additional 5 bucks they added to the price.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that this was going to be a choice for Christmas presents to non-flashaholic types. Especially those friends of mine who would be totally turned off by the thought of lithium cells.

I say thumbs up. just my two cents.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bobisculous said:
... One interesting thing about target is their credit card machines, they are like ATMs and suck your entire card into the machine and keeps it until the transaction in completed. Anyway, I will have a look next time I go there.

Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

...hopefully not being cloned while in there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ted T

Newly Enlightened
Has any one tried NiMH batteries in these lights? If so, what was the result?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went back and checked Target again. They DO sell the Dorcy's. I didnt pick one up, just cause I dont need it and there are other more important things I need to take care of. So perhaps soon, I will go get one.

Cameron

ps56k

Enlightened
Re: Dorcy 1watt 3AAA + beam pattern

well - we now have the Dorcy 1w x 3AAA along with the UK 4AA eLED. Both are nice. However, I really don't like the light pattern of the Dorcy. I'm not sure if there is a name for it, but it has a bright center spot, and then some dark thin rings as it spreads out to the spill. I think it may be the reflector's edge down near the LED, as it transitions from a vertical neck to the conical reflector. Anyway, I find it distracting.... I unscrewed the top end to take a better look, and actually the beam patterm looks much better with the head unscrewed to the very end of the threads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Re: Dorcy 1watt 3AAA + beam pattern

[ QUOTE ]
Has any one tried NiMH batteries in these lights? If so, what was the result?

[/ QUOTE ]

I switched the batteries in my Dorcy to NiMh yesterday. It is a little brighter (although it was pretty good to begin with)...It now seems to stay brighter for a longer amount of time.

And of course I like the fact that I can just recharge when the light starts to dim. No more guilt over quickly used batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ps56k

Enlightened
Re: Dorcy 1watt 3AAA + beam pattern + lanyard

I really need a lanyard for the light -
May try either dental floss around the tail threads,
and create a small loop for the actual lanyard,
or
actually drill a small hole in the center of the tail cap
and use a cotter pin or something to act as a ring/loop
for a lanyard.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I just got my Dorcy 1 watt x AAA at Sears and tried it out last night. It seems to throw a gigantic wide flood light. At 50 feet the outer ring of light is easily 36 feet wide! The bright inner ring is at least 15 feet wide. Is there a lens or way I could cut down this wide flood light to a smaller circle of light? Its great at 20 feet or less but for greater distances the beam needs to be tightened up. I was hoping someone would know where I could get a lens that would fit this light and tighten it up a little.

junior

Enlightened
ps56k, you should try to guts of 550 cord. If you cant get a hold of any let me know i have plenty. Ill give you some for free so long as you just pay postage.

jamesraykenney

Newly Enlightened
Look around Target more...Mine has the EB stuff in one place and the Dorcy in a compleatly different area...Look in the hardware sec. or the auto sec. NOT the camping sec. ... That is where the EB stuff is.