ElektroLumens FT-3C

Steve C

Enlightened
Anybody have this one? I'm interested in the throw. If the ad literature can be believed, the run time is excellent and the beam is good (i.e., better than your basic Mag-Lite).

The compact size is very attractive; but if this is just another ho-hum light, I've already got an EverLed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually, the EverLed is decent. But I want something with more reach, I want it to use standard D or C batteries, and I want it ready-made. My initial plan was to modify a 3D cell MagLite I have; but I've given myself a headache reading about all these different "mods"; they're all rather confusing.

I like the idea of a drop-in replacement bulb a'la EverLed. I realize that the third cell will kick the EverLed up a bit, but mine (in a 2D MagLite) has some artifacts at a distance. Its no biggee up close, like in the house, but annoying outside.

Is the TerraLux any more powerful?

Raybo

Enlightened
The FT-3C is one of my favorite lights, good throw and GREAT color (I've had it for 6 months so if Wayne has reordered there might be a different bin emitter for the newer ones)but the push button switch on it is more or less useless.

All in all, I like the one I received.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two FT3Cs.

Runtime is outstanding. Much better than the specs say. I performed my own informal runtime test, and got about 70 hours of usable light.

Color on my FT3Cs are outstanding, very very white.

Throw is excellent for its class--I can light up tree tops roughly 50 yards away.

Beam quality is mediocre. Yes, its much better than Gaglite (which doesn't say much), but its dozens of notches below the best IMO-- the best IMO being (most Surefires), Arc 4s, and the Pelican M6 LED. The corona has lots of rings and artifacts, and is dim (almost no sidespill). The hotspot is bright, but has the typical diamond shape surrounding it due the a HD + optics.

Fit and finsih of the FT-3C is very mediocre--actually MUCH worst than Gaglites. Battery rattle is SEVERE, the switch is pathetically bad, and there are lots of tool marks and rough spots.

Do I recommend the FT3C? Yes, if you can get it for less than its current asking price. I think $60 is way too much for a flashlight with such mediocre fit and finish. However....at the pre-sale price of $39 its a good buy. The performance is very good--very bright and white, and runs 70 hours giving usable light (mine does anyway). If you can live with the lackluster fit and finish, terrible switch, mediocre beam quality, and severe battery rattle it will be a good workhorse for you.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Two one is standard and the other has been modified
with a better Led. I use them all the time, one for around the house, and the moded one as one of my EDC lights. Both have good throw and a good run time on rechargables, with the modded one having a brighter and whiter hotspot. Overall I cant complain, the FT-3C is a very good and reliable light.

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks, 357, that's what I needed to know.

I'll pass.

What do you know about the TerraLux drop-in?

Flashlight Enthusiast
^The Terralux (double 1 watt LEDs) drop in has a terribly bad beam, according to the review done by Quickbeam in flashlightreviews.com. This makes sense to me, since my Terralux Ministar 2 (for the Maglite 2AA) has terrible beam too.

If you get the Terralux double 1 watt LED for your C/D cell Maglites, you will need to also get an LDF lens (and/or textured reflector) in order to make the beam usable. My advise is to forget about the Terralux, and stick with your EverLED.

If you can live with mediocre (but not terrible) beam quality, I would recommend Elektrolumens other models, the Blaster series. They have very good fit and finish (much much better than the FT3C), and have great white tints and excellent runtime. With a drop in reflector, you can even get the beam quality up to average.

Steve C

Enlightened
Hmmm... sounds like I've got to do the full-blown "mod" thing whether I want to or not.

Or, just sit tight and see what is coming.

Thanks, 357.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Steve C said:
Hmmm... sounds like I've got to do the full-blown "mod" thing whether I want to or not.

Or, just sit tight and see what is coming.

Thanks, 357.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you would have to mod to get any of those choices up to a decent level.

I'm hoping that someone eventually makes a aluminum body regulated C and/or D cell flashlight, with excellent fit/finish and top notch orange peel textured aluminum reflector (for beam quality). It would be nice to have an excellent out of the box C or D cell flashlight, without having to mod the heck out of it just to make it acceptable.

None of the current options are totally acceptable to me, without additional modding.