Max Candle Power vs Peak Beam Candle Power!

JohnnyBoy

Newly Enlightened
Evening all.

As in the subject - I am trying to find out if these measurements of light output are the same - or whether they are different and require 'converting' to be the same.

For example, if Max Candle Power is 1,000,000 - what is that in Peak Beam Candle Power?

Many thanks!

John.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, candlepower is basically a made up messurment. Lux is the brightest point in the beam, and lumens are the overall light output.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Candle Power and LUX are both a measurment of a beam of light. Lumen is a measurment of the total amount of light generated in ALL directions.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello John,

Welcome to CPF.

I believe max candle power or candle power is the slang name for peak effective beam candle power. In other words they refer to the same thing.

Tom

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JohnnyBoy said:

For example, if Max Candle Power is 1,000,000 - what is that in Peak Beam Candle Power?

John.

[/ QUOTE ]
Max, peak and for most sources, candlepower will tend to mean the same thing. The seller is going to find the spot where candlepower is greatest and quote that. If there was a pencil thin beam with no side spill and it measured high that's what they would claim. Great as a spotlight for an ant show but not much else.
Bright Guys have a bit of information on it.

LightJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I hate to hi-jack this thread but wanted to know if there was any type of comparison chart for lumens vs. candlepower. I tried using the search function but as you can imagine when I use the keyword Lumen or candle power I get a million hits. Thanks.

LightJunkie

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there is no conversion for lumens to candlepower or vice-versa. It would be hard to have a comparison chart too because some lights work differently with different reflectors and different bulbs. A Maxabeam for example puts out only 1,000 lumens but it will throw further than almost any other light. Then you have the 10,000 lumen Sleeper light that puts out more light than the entire universe would ever need but it dosn't throw as far as the Maxabeam. See, lumens and candlepower don't really have that much to do with each other.

So to answer your question, no.

LightJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Baker,

Thanks for the help with that question and your prompt response.

Light Junkie