UK 4AA eLED or SL Jr LED

spideyfan

Newly Enlightened
I am picking up one of these lights because I want a good 1 watt Lux in my collection. However I am stuck on which one to buy. Also the UK 4AA eLED is luxeon right? So it has like 50000 hr life in the light, right?

SL:
-Sleek, 2 AA, nice 30 lumen output, regulated, 50000hr LED life, comes w/ holster.

UK:
-around 30 lumens, runs regulated on 4 AA for a LONG time (11 hrs) i think with good light, cheap ($20 at brightguy).

Help or expierence would be greatly appreciated.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I have both, and like them both. My Streamlight Junior Lux is brighter, but you can't beat the runtime on the UK.

Advice: Buy them both!

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the UK 4aa eLED output is overstated. I think its more like 20 lumens, NOT 30. It does a much better job of lighting up a room than my Arc LS's (13-17 lumens), but its not as bright as my SL Lux Jrs. (30 lumens).

Having said that, I give the UK 4aa eled a recommendation over the SL lux Jr. The SL lux jr. only runs slightly over an hour, and the beam is very clumpy (blotchy artifacts, and not particularly smooth). The uk 4aa eled runs around 11 hours at constant regulation, and has the much smoother beam (tiny hotspot with a corona with practically no artifacts).

The sl lux jr. throws further, but isn't as effective at lighting up a large area. The uk 4aa eled doesn't throw as far, but lights up more area at close range. It really depends which beam type you prefer though.

03lab

Enlightened
What 357 said. I own both and they are completely different lights, it really depends on what you are looking for.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the UK eLED and it didn't turn out to be as much as a 'wow' light as I hoped even though it was and still is, my only Luxeon LED light. I still wanted more...
I still love it though, because of the long and super regulated runtime.

ps56k

Enlightened
I was looking at the same lights - for camping...
We purchased the Dorcy 1w x 3AAA and also the UK eLED for our son - he'll receive them in a few days, and then decide which he likes for camping... The Dorcy (and the SL I'm guessing) give a strong focused throwing beam, and have a metal case to act as a heatsink. The UK does not use all the power to create a throwing beam, but rather reduces power (and the throw) to make the light last longer.
As others have said - and we'll find out soon - do you want a power throwing beam, or a flood. Also - power used vs battery life.