CR2 Production Light

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Every time one of our esteemed modders shows us one of their CR2 based creations we all wet our pants, so why hasn't one of the manufacturers produced a nice small 3/4" diameter 1 watt LS CR2 powered light that we all can afford.It doesn't have to be superbright,a 350ma semi-flood beam would give decent runtime and plenty of usable light.Come on Peak,Streamlight,Nuwai,someone....please.

cy

Flashaholic
jets22 offers one w/Blackbird, FF2 should have a CR2 body at the shoppe soon. but we've been promised that for awhile.

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Cy
Although I admire Jets22 work immensely I consider his work to be of limited custom production,what I would like to see is a production CR2 available on a large scale at large scale prices.If Streamlight can make an N cell light why not this?

Prolepsis

Enlightened
IMHO I believe that 123-based lights are just *starting* to hit prime time, if that. That is, most non-flashaholics aren't going to by 123-based lights and then look for 123 batteries.

Since the CR2 batteries are even less common, at least in the flashlight world, it will be some time before a major manufacturer decides that it is worth their time and money to produce a CR2-based light. That's my prediction, anyhow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But if there were CR2-based production lights, I would probably buy them in a heartbeat. For a pocket light or EDC light, I don't really care about the extra runtime the 123 form factor offers vs that of a CR2.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is supposed to be a production CR2 Luxeon light available:
tl1-3.jpg

Vortex KC1

The use of CR2 batteries does allow the reduction in length, but does not gain that much in reduction of the diameter of a light.
For me, single CR123 lights are short enough already, so it isn't the length that I would like to see reduced......

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KC-1's.. well, wasn't it supposed to be out by now? I've only heard of one in the wild, and that was in Singapore. The only real advantage to the CR2-based lights is that they're smaller in length.... but to be honest, I find one-cell 123's to be just about the right size for one-handed use and pocket-carry. Anything smaller's just a bit TOO small for comfortable use as an EDC, IMO.

If I need anything smaller, and I'll get a keychain-light in an AA or AAA-cell format. Plus, the extra expense of the CR2 cells make them less attractive, especially given that you can get the same or better capacity in a package only a little larger.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mrd 74 said:
Every time one of our esteemed modders shows us one of their CR2 based creations we all wet our pants, so why hasn't one of the manufacturers produced a nice small 3/4" diameter 1 watt LS CR2 powered light that we all can afford.It doesn't have to be superbright,a 350ma semi-flood beam would give decent runtime and plenty of usable light.Come on Peak,Streamlight,Nuwai,someone....please.

[/ QUOTE ]
If 3/4" diameter is what you want, I see no problems doing that in a 123 cell format. The various 123 ARC products were unnecessarily large. I bet if you hunt down tvodrd's early posts you see a 123 light no bigger than that.

MY

Enlightened
Any reduction in length and width, from say, the firefly, would be welcomed in an EDC light. Most people who fancy a CR2 light are not that concerned with its runtime relative to a 123 light. Since most of the use is intermittent in nature, the reduction in size outweighs the the reduction in run time.

Regards.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MY said:
Any reduction in length and width, from say, the firefly, would be welcomed in an EDC light. Most people who fancy a CR2 light are not that concerned with its runtime relative to a 123 light. Since most of the use is intermittent in nature, the reduction in size outweighs the the reduction in run time.

Regards.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, if runtime's not an issue, may I suggest a Modified Peak AA using a LuxIII, or one of d'mo's limited-edition PeakAAA's which also use a LuxIII? At this point, if size is really -that- big a deal, you can't get much better than that. As bright as the early LuxI-based lights but with a skinnier form-factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What Larry said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Does anyone else notice that the smiling popcorn eaters that have posted in this thread already have theirs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mrd 74 said:
Does anyone else notice that the smiling popcorn eaters that have posted in this thread already have theirs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I guess that I should post too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
I just wish I knew exactly what is it that I'm supposed to be watching while eating this popcorn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
[ QUOTE ]
Mrd 74 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I guess that I should post too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
I just wish I knew exactly what is it that I'm supposed to be watching while eating this popcorn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, cy, does that mean you have three of them?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe you should send one to Mrd 74 to cheer him up.

cy

Flashaholic
edit: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif