Pink Floyd Pulse CD Box Set

Empath

Flashaholic
That sounds like the LED on the package for a Logitech Optical mouse. I repackaged the the works in a small case and have been running the batteries for months. Radio Shack also sells a 2 AA cell blinking light. It's also been going for months.

sotyakr

Enlightened
I've also got the Pulse box set (one of my favorites, and not just for the flashing LED), but I forget how long the batteries held up. I think they lasted a few years.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've got the mouse and my box had NICE batteries in the blinky light (Duracell Advanded or whatever, the nice Duracell batteries) so I took them out and used them in something else. Took this unit to scout camp and stuck it in my tent to make location easy at night. Ran for a week (Would have run longer, took batteries out) on the cheapest AAs I could find in the house

B@rt

Flashaholic
The batts lasted way too long!
grin.gif

I ended up storing the box out of sight as it was driving me nuts...
Pretty energy efficient though.
smile.gif

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else have the Special box set of Pink Floyd Pulse with the flashing LED? My first battery lasted for 5 years, I'm now on the second one. I let it flash until it was totally dead. At the end, it was barely perceptible. It's still pretty bright after a couple of years on the new alkaline batteries. The box has an insert with a red flashing 5mm LED powered by 2 AA batteries.

WaltH

Enlightened
Yeah, I've got the pulse CD. I took the battery out after a couple years so I'd be sure not to have an alkaline meltdown. Very cool CD in more ways than one. Although I prefer their older stuff.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I wonder if that flasher is based on the now-obsolete LM3909 monolithic LED flasher IC. Back in the 1970s, you could find them at Radio Shack and make an LED flasher (using the IC and I think a resistor and a 100uF cap) and it would flash an LED for more than a year on a single C cell. With the component values modified, it might even run for a year on an AA cell.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do wonder if those ICs really are obsolete. I have two fake CCTV camera housings (one of which has a real camera inside now) that came with single-cell powered blinky LEDs using that very same IC (one had a D cell, one bought a few weeks later from a different store had a C cell). They were bought about 2 years ago but are still sold today, still with the blinky light to try and make it look more real-er. It`s possible that a vast mountain of them had been stockpiled though, and that the ICs are now not avaliable new.

The one that wasn`t retrofitted with a real cam (and steady burning LED powered off the DC supply), blinked non stop for about 18 months on just one c cell. It still blinks now and then too depending on the weather, so I wonder if it`s actually just corroded contacts preventing it from working most the time? It is getting kind of rusty round the edges now....

grin.gif
rolleyes.gif