Why are so few led lights waterproof?

Raven

Enlightened
Water resistance is nice, but waterproof would be even better. We all perk up when a new luxeon appears on the market, and beam quality, regulation, and finish are always ask about first, but I rarely see water resistance mentioned.

Here's what I am looking for:

Lux (any watt)
AA batteries or an available AA battery pack
HA III finish (no imperfections)
Regulated
Glass Lense
Waterproof
Good beam quality

The only light that matched all of those requirements is no longer being manufactured.

Azreal911

Enlightened
The long bow makes the closest thing you are looking for. cause it has:
1) a luxeon
2) aa batteries
3) not sure about ha III finish
4) semi regulated for running a 1 watt on 2aa's
5) can easily be changed to glass lens
6) water proof to 250 feet (twisty version)
7) don't know about beam quality.

that's like 5 out of the 7 things you wanted.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because they are very expensive to produce, and most of the people is not going to use them underwater.
I 'm sure a waterproof flashlight is better than a weatherproof, because it would be able to light things on more places, and that is the purpose of a flashlight, to put light on dark places, from the highest mountaing to the sea depths.

I'm sure price is the only reason.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Underwater, throw is of concern too. A flood light is nice, but when you look at dive lights and stuff they throw like a spotlight. I take my Inova X5T underwater all the time, and it helps a little bit, but nowhere near as much as my SuperSabrelite. .

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't say that nothing LED could outthrow my SuperSabrelite. I said my X5T won't outthrow it underwater. I'm sure there are LED lights that will throw underwater, but my local dive shop doesn't have any. The sporting goods store has the PT LED lights, and while they work well for checking guages and stuff they fade with distance. It really depends on what you're using the light for, I guess. For true fun you really can't beat HID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It all depends on what you mean by "waterproof."

Many "water resistant" lights with good o-rings/gaskets and some sort of environmental seal on the switch(es) will gracefully withstand brief dunkings.

In my book, that's more than enough for what I'm going to do with my lights.

Any requirement more than a brief dunking requires more than just o-rings, gaskets, and clever watertight switches since pressure does unusual things to o-rings, gaskets, and switch seals - which usually adds up to more cost than most are willing to pay.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
... For true fun you really can't beat HID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif