The new KL1 - it's a Turbohead in disguise

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new KL1 - it\'s a Turbohead in disguise

Just received my new KL1-Lux3-4thGen thanks to jcciv /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

The machining is impeccable and it makes for one really pretty looking bezel. I've seen some pics that show it as being longer than the classic KL1, but really not by much. Plus, it really is bright white and beautiful - this is one awesomely white looking LED. It's definitely more powerful, a ceiling bounce test shows it lights up the room (via reflected light) better than the original KL1-Lux1.

I'm aware many have covered this, but the problem comes with the focusing of the light. Kinda like with the X200, what were they thinking? This light is very hard to use at close-in ranges, which the original KL1 was made for. At one foot, which is not uncommon for the KL1, the spot is 3" across. The original NX05 optic was a lot better, throwing one that was at least 10" thanks to the sidespill. I use mine largely for close-range work and the new KL1 doesn't seem like an upgrade at all.

Where it comes into its own is at the 15ft range and further than that. The original KL1 dims significantly, whereas the new KL1 has the ability to launch the beam much further. Whoever said LEDs can't throw has got to be kidding. This thing throws like its existence depends on it. But, IMHO, that was not the intention of the original KL1.

To me, the new KL1 seems like the turbohead version of the original - except that with other Surefires short of the M4 or the M6 you usually have an option to switch back to a non-turbohead version. (M3T -> M3, KT1/KT2 -> normal bezel for other SFs). It's great if you are looking for a turbohead; not so great if you are looking for a flood. I have this nagging suspicion I bought the wrong light - but I had no other way to find out. Granted, I knew about the sidespill 'problem' but thought it would not be that severe. Believe me, it is.

What I think is that Surefire should offer this version as the KL1T, and keep the original NX05 optic version as another option for the rest of us who want more spill, just like they offered two versions of bezels - impact/normal bezels for the Millenium series of lights.

Guess I was right about one thing: the original KL1-Lux1-HD is staying on my E1e as my EDC.

Luxbright

Enlightened
Re: The new KL1 - it\'s a Turbohead in disguise

Maybe we can meet up one of this night to admire your new possession.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any mods to get a flood beam out of the new KL1's?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless someone swaps me a NIB/like-new KL1-Lux1-HD-3rdGen for this in the meantime.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, one more thing for those who'd like to put an E2D crenellated bezel ring on these - you simply can't. The very tip of the new KL1 with serial number and "Caution: Hot Surface" forms an integral part of the assembly and is machined from one solid chunk of aluminium that the upper 2/3rds of the light is comprised of.

PS: ResQTech - a rubber band and my 'improvised beamshaper' made of a piece of frosted plastic similar in texture to the scotch satin tape gives me a flood beam. Problem is that it looks awful and I'm not buying the 'official' beamshaper because I don't want to add unnecessary size /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you want to sell yours or trade with my stripped & CM modded KL1? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plus top up though as I paid quite a bit for mine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire invented what, in my opinion, is a "contact lens" for flashlights. An optic made of transparent resin, with high refractive index (thus shorter, compared to INOVA) and evidently cheap to make...
I believe they still are the leaders. The only problem I see... the new KL1 is a misnomer... here I agree with Kevin. SF should sell both KL1s, the flood (old) and the spot (new). The new one doesn't fit well the EDC task. Waiting more new KL1 to be available, I'm buying some more old ones...

Anthony

akula88

Enlightened

The new KL1 should have been identified with a new designation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif