What's the word on this Garrity light? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
What\'s the word on this Garrity light? ...

I saw it at Wal-Mart for around $10 or so this weekend.

Since it used AAs which I could recharge, I thought it would be perfect for my wife's early morning walks.

I wouldn't expect it to be super bright. But has anyone tried it, can you compare it to anything else?

http://www.garritylites.com/site/retail_details.php?recid=101

New for 2004 is our ALuminum LED FLashlight. With a top of the line Nichia LED and a reflector that projects a pinpoint beam, this light not only provides the typical long lasting abilities that have made LEDs so popular, but it also provides the distance and pin-point beam not typical of most LED Flashlights.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
Battery lasts 10x longer.
Provide a powerful, bright, 25' beam.
Bonus Holster Included.
Top of the line Nichia LED.
Alkaline Batteries.
Comes with blue and red lenses ideal for tracking and night vision.
Lifetime Guarantee.

Thanks very much in advance,

Chris

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
Re: What\'s the word on this Garrity light? ...

It's funny, I was just at walmart and saw the same thing, and wondered the exact same thing.

DasFX

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I don't yet have one of these flashlights; there's no Wall-Mart anywhere I can get to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

capnal

Enlightened

I have one. I really like it actually.
The fit and finish are not bad at all.
The beam is very similar to the Brinkmann Rebel 2xAA or the long life LED, also by Brinkmann.

Yeah, the use of AAA cells is nice. The rear tail clickie works nice, too. Comes with snap on colored filters. However, I am yet to use one of those. What I actually did not like the most about this package is the holster. A little too on the cheesy side for me.

Overall, nice little package. Nice weight to it, and it "feels" good in your hand. IT IS NOT TERRIBLY BRIGHT. So you, might want to test drive it before you give it to your wife for those walks.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used a blinkmann rebel for a day before i returned it. It was not that bright at all. About that of the stubby blinkmann light. The dorcey tripple a one would be better in my opinion.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought one several months ago on impulse. I agree with all already said. There are other lighter, brighter lights in the <$20 braket. Gave it to a friend for a glovebox light.

carbonsparky

Enlightened

Save yourself some money and buy the Dorcy 1 AAA light for about $6. It uses the same size LED with a much more efficient drive. It will last longer on a ration of 3 AAA batteries than the Garrity (you just have to use them one at a time). It is also a much more compact light. If you get bored with it, it has a neat little boost LED driver circuit that can be used in other flash light bodies.

If you want to spend a little more, go to
Target and pick up a Dorcy 1 AA or a 2 AA LED light. The 1 AA uses 3 LEDs and the 2 AA has 4. They can both be modded to use a 1 watt luxeon emitter with out to much work. These two both sell for around the price of the Garrity.