KL1, KL4 or longbow on AA

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in getting a KL1, KL4 or Longbow and running it on AA batteries. NOTE: The vital gear would be the body on the surefires.

Any thoughts? I am NOT looking for run time, have lots of rechargebles and am primary interested in the "WOW that is bright" reaction.

Thanks,
Bob

briteguy

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Does Vital gear have 3AA or 4AA body? The KL4 are not going to run with 2AA NiMHs. The KL1 will barely run on 2AA NiMHs, but it won't wow anyone.

Stay with 123s, they are bright and small.

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
So if I want AA batteries I shoudl stick wit hthe longbow? 123s are such a pain, especially since they are not rechargeable.

Thanks
Bob

suppin

Newly Enlightened
You'll probably have to run the KL4 on 3xAAs, mine lights up with 2xAAs, but it's dim. Since NiMH batteries should be rated at 1.2v, I think the KL4 will either be dimmer or wouldn't light up at all. As for the KL1, I tested 2xAAs on the new style KL1 and it worked fine.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The kl4 will run QUITE well on a pila 168s cell in a 2*123 cell body. Runs in regulation for about an hour or more.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my KL4,KL1 with a 2AA Vital Gear tube with great results. There might be some degree of variance in the KL1,KL4 as some work well with 2AA's and some don't. Your mileage may vary.