Honda Civic

Darkaway

Enlightened
I'm thinking about buying an '05 Honda Civic 4 door sedan. It fits my needs in size, performance and fuel economy. I have about 18k to play with so that will probably rule out the LX and possibly the EX as well.

Talk me out of it. Is there anything better out there? 18K out the door is my absolute limit. I value fuel ecomomy over performance and I love the reliability of Hondas. I have to carry three passengers (besides myself) or a bicycle (inside the car for security reasons) occasionally.

Turt

Enlightened
Other good options might be the toyota matrix, or corolla. You might also be able to get a nissan altima but that will be very close to you 18k out the door limit. But the civic is a great choice as is.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you dead set on new? A nice used car with low miles that is perhaps three years old will allow you to get more options and be below the top price you set.

I no longer buy new cars, you drive them for a month and then some moron in a hurry cracks and dents your door anyway in a parking lot. The Japanese cars are so reliable, that I feel safe buying certified used cars.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Darkaway,

I have an '03 Civic EX and picked it over the Corolla with no regrets. The EX engine then, and now, whips out a "tears in the eyes" 127 HP. When you factor in the 117 HP or so that the LX sedan pumps out and the extra weight of a 4 door, turtles whizzing by at the zoo is a distinct possibility. The car has been hassle free and doesn't burn oil. There isn't alot about the car not to like. It runs great and gets fantastic freeway mileage.

If you like Honda might you consider an '04. The engines did not change between years and the dealers are making great deals to clean out inventory. Except for some body styling to distinguish years there is no mechanical difference and I believe the interiors are consistent from year to year until a model change in 2006.

If you're good at negotiating you might want to look at the NEW Corolla. It comes with a new 170 hp engine, handling enhancements and looks pretty snazzy. This would be a good choice and it's $5 under your budget but not when you factor in tax and papers. Your skill makes it affordable.

My recommendation would be an '04 EX sedan that will come in under your budget with tax and title.

If you're a skilled negotiator the Corolla would be strong second choice for the HP alone.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i realy like mazda.s check out the reviews on em.i forget what thewr cheap car is called now. but there good cars

Darkaway

Enlightened
Good point 357. I shopped online for late model used Civics and I decided that I'm willing to pay more (not a whole lot more due to their high resale value) for a new car. With a new car I get more miles under warranty and presumably a more refined vehicle. I intend to drive this car for at least 10 years/200K miles as I have with my present '92 Civic so I would prefer to start with an odometer that reads in double digits.

Elmie

Enlightened
How about the Si? People have been picking those up for around 16k tax in I think.

Its the hatch back style. Great for storage room. back seat room is the same as the 4 door. 160hp DOHC.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow flashlightboy you give a jap car credit for not burning oil when it was made in 2003 ?
you must put a lot of miles on a car.

I bought a grand am with the quad four from a neighbor down the street. (2.3 dohc 16 valve 160 HP-and lots of torque for a four banger)
it was made in 1989 has 111,000 miles on it and it uses no oil and it does not smoke. (my neighbor bought it at a police auction)

0 to 60 in 7.8 seconds with a 3 speed auto

(my 1988 w41 ho eats the 89 for lunch-6.4 seconds to 60)

so do jap cars start to smoke in less than 2 years ?
My mom's crysler mini van has a 3.0 v6 mitsubishi engine that had a major failure at 71,000 miles go go jap engine.
Sorry I am sorta out of line but
buy an American car or if you buy a jap car and then get laid off ask the Japanese to pay your unemployment.

American made cars are just as good as any foreign car.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
A lot of jap cars are now built in the USA, out of the same "made in china" parts as the American cars.
jap cars do have there problems(as they all do,both american and jap), i.e change the timing belt when the manual says or else. Toyota also has a flawed engine as well(2.7((2.5?)) inline 4 I belive, some cryslers use the same motor)
I drive a 1998 jeep grand cherokiee with 165k miles with only typical maintance and minor problems.
As for jap cars being miles ahead in reliability, I belive that ended in the late 1980's
anyway if it was my 18 grand I would by a buick but given the style and gas mileage Go for the Honda

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i realy like mazda.s check out the reviews on em.i forget what thewr cheap car is called now. but there good cars

[/ QUOTE ]
Mazda = Ford = EVIL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Jokeing aside I would love to take a spin in a Mazda RX8 to see if the new rotory engine is as fun as they say it is.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
markdi,

Some cars burn oil without any obvious problems, like my Exploder, and other cars burn a miniscule amount.

I'm not surprised that the Honda isn't burning oil but I wanted to point out, for those who measure engine "trustworthiness" by consumption just how miserly the engine is.

Although off topic as you mentioned I have no qualms about buying a Japanese car if that's were my money gets me the most car. It's a cyclical thing - if Ford produces a poor car then it, and the good people who work for them, will suffer but I'm not inclined to buy their car just because the company is headquartered in Detroit.

Lest you think I'm American car bashing that wouldn't be correct. Mitsubishi is a Japanese manufacturer that I'd stay away from because they are having money problems and might not be around much longer. Kia is offering wonderful warranties but I don't think their build quality is there. Hyundai is another one that I'd have doubts about.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toyota Echo for mileage and price IMO. Then you have some money left for flashlights or whatever you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not finance it with your bank or credit union?
18K should cover everything out the door on an 04 model well equipped.
Do the dealer a favor and offer 18K on a 20-21K car that is an 04.
This way they can start taking delivery of an additional 05 to take it's place.
If you only get high pressure, leather sex foreplay out of them, then just take your keys out of your pocket and walk out without stopping.
They will then call and say ok to your deal when they figured out that you will not be taken.

Darell

Flashaholic
Darkaway -

I love my 2001 Civic (same body style as you're looking at). Has been a reliable, economical and enjoyable car to own - for a gas car. I get about 40mpg. I have owned three Hondas before this one, and each one was sold with over 250k miles on the clock - still running great.

For the other discussion going on, I'm not sure just how to puchase an "American car." If it has an American nameplate, is that good enough? If an American-named car is build overseas, does that count? A foreign-named car built here? The lines have blurred so much now, that it is next to impossible to know just what country gets how much money from your purchase.

And as a personal note, I am NOT comfortable with the derogatory term "Jap."

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2001 Japanese car was made in Ohio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The only Americans it put out of work were some mid level managers that aren't needed over here and thats fine by me because i've worked for mid level managers and a more worthless job I can't think of. They are better off on wellfare.

My 1995 Saturn is an excellent car. 80k miles, burns no oil, made in America (more or less)

Generally both Honda's and Toyota's hold their value very well. But I agree that you can get something a year or 2 old, for less than 18k that will serve you better for longer.

kaseri

Enlightened
My 2004 Honda Civic is a dream. I couldn't be happier with a car purchase. Great on gas, comfortable and reliable. Everthing that I want in a car.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
If you value fuel economy you might like the hybrids.

The Insight is fun but limited (two seater).

The Toyota Prius is fun and very practical but looks "different".

The Civic hybrid looks "normal" but does not have a fun factor.

I drive a 2002 Prius. I've seen them used for around $18K with under 25,000 miles on them. I have never gotten less than 44 MPG on a tank. Best so far was 55 MPG on a tank. Fun for commuting and I can load an overflowing Costco shopping cart into it. It seats 4 adults comfortably.

Daniel

Frangible

Enlightened
Hybrids are cool -- but beware of limited service options and battery service life. I don't think they will ever pay for their increased fuel economy, but you'll be doing your part to help the environment, which is always a good thing. I hope they become more common and widespread in the future.