What is meant by "regulated"?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is meant by \"regulated\"?

This term is very vague. Do you guys mean any light with a boost/buck regulator or a constant current? Many people have stated that the QIII is not regulated, but it does have a boost circuit. Also, what is semi regulated? Thanks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is meant by \"regulated\"?

I consider "regulated" to be a general term that includes "full regulation" AND "partial regulation".

"Full regulation" would be a circuit that has nearly flat output until the batteries can no longer supply needed power.

"Partial regulation" would be a circuit that has slower than normal diminishing output for as long as power is supplied. This output would be less dimininishing than a non-regulated light, but considerably more diminishing than a full regulated light.

No regulation is IMO a light that dims pretty rapidly, according to the supplied power in the battery.

My understanding is that a boost circuit may or may not be regulated. In general, a boost circuit drives up the voltage to a usable level, but that does not necessarily indicate regulation.

My understanding, I could be wrong. Please correct I if so.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MadMax is a constant current input, so it's both a voltage boost and regulator?

Flashlight Enthusiast

^I don't know. Perhaps the maker of the MadMax can come in here and chime in.....

RussH

Enlightened

Most voltage boost circuits would be regulated in that they would boost to a given, fixed voltage such as 3.6. They can also be considered to be partially or semi-regulated in that when the batteries cannot supply enough voltage/current they normally drop back to direct drive or sometimes cutoff.

A constant current regulator usually would normally be a buck regulator, reducing a higher voltage to a value that maintains the specified current. But it is possible to implement constant current with boost or with both boost/buck. Doing both is usually less efficient than just doing buck or boost and takes more parts.

Badboy is a step-up (boost) regulator, Downbow is a step-down (buck) regulator, and I don't know what to consider the madmax, either. You could explore the FAQ or posts on the Sandwich shop forum.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

"Regulated": Employs circuitry that provides a flatter light output.

Brightnorm