Reflectors for FireFlies

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I just wanted to post my results on a mod that I agreed to do. I used old style IMS SO17XA reflectors to modify a couple of Fire Flies.

I know that some have said that they were able to modify FF's without modification to the light itself. I found this to be an exercise in tearing up reflectors. In order to do it without removing material from the FireFly itself, you'd have to get into the reflective surface of the reflector, and I think that is counter productive.

The first thing I did was to make a plug to fit into the back of the reflector. This allows the reflector to be chucked, if you don't have a collet the correct size, which I didn't. After chucking the reflector from the back end, I reduced the diameter of the front portion of the reflector by 20/1000's. I then turned the reflector around and began turning off the skirt. I did this using a cut off tool. I removed the skirt in increments until the "hollow" portion of the skirt was gone.

I then measured the thickness of what was left of the rim on the IMS reflector and subtracted the thickness of the rim on the Fraen opitc. I then removed this amount from the face of the copper sandwiche/optic housing. I also bored the housing a tiny bit to accomodate the reflector.

It has a nice stock look to it and the beam is typical IMS 17mm.

For the pics...
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

The beam shots were taken with each light about 20 feet from a white wall (and couch). The beams were beautiful. One of the fireflies has a bit of a greenie in it, but you can't fault the reflector for that.

I just wanted to share my experience for those that might want to try this.

I have a VERY limited supply of the old style IMS reflectors and am keeping those for personal mods. Please do not ask me to supply any.

If you are interestd in having this done to your FF AND you can supply your own old style IMS reflector, I MIGHT consider doing it. It took me a while to do these, although I MIGHT get better and quicker at doing it, if I do more. For now, I'm considering this a PITA mod, especially considering what it costs to replace the copper housing, if I screw it up.

Oh, for you guys that weren't aware of it. If you stick a round corn pad on the sandwiche, it will prevent battery rattle and that annoying accidental discharge that forces you to loosen the head more than you should need to.

Dizney

Newly Enlightened
Tony,

The beams look great!!! I'm gonna give my wife the one with the greenie beamie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dizney,

She probably won't notice the difference, if you don't show her yours. LOL

cy

Flashaholic
good job for such a pita operation!

seems anytime you cut into the plastic reflector. you can never get reflector clean again.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did all cutting on a lathe and never touched the reflecive surface of the reflectors. As a result, these beams are perfect.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reflectors for FireFlies??
I think it would weight down their butts too much and they would not be able to fly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Nice job. Sure am glad I bought several TUBES of them old-styles before they ran out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

But of course I was toenail clippering'em to fit the VIP heads and now only have a few left m'self... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

Let me see how many of the new I can dig up. I have crap laying all over the place. I'll PM you when I dig them all up.

Thanks,

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Tony,

My pleasure! (I had to dig through all the laying-around crap to find the 5 before I posted.) I don't have any of the new style and need to get a handle on what it takes to turn them. I'm surprised my post made it as the box crashed when I clk'd "submit!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Larry, send me your snail addy. Not taking away Chop's trade deal but I have just one for your 'sperimentin' while Chop rounds up his, and since I lost everyone's addy when my computer crashed a couple weeks ago I need to rebuild my addy book anyway...

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie and Larry, if you guys can get something goin', go ahead. I can't find anything.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I'll be sending Larry just one of the new style of the couple that I have, but need Larry's address. Hello, Larry?