OT: Flashlights in CSI

n2299

Newly Enlightened
First, I would like to apologize if it's inappropriate for me to have an OT posting in this forum.

I an a big fan of the TV show, CSI.

I wonder if anyone who knows what kind of lights they carry in that show?

My uneducated guess would be Surefires 6P, 8AX or 9AN.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same thing. PopSci (september) did an article on CSI and there is a paragraph where they say that flashlights are one of the most important tools for crime scene investigating. They said they used "mag lights".

Peter Gransee

n2299

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
I was wondering the same thing....They said they used "mag lights".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha... good to know I'm not the only one who wonder about these things.
smile.gif

I doubt they use the real "Mag Lights" in the show. The ones I saw looks too slim and sleek to be Mags.

n2299

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unicorn:
Check out this thread on Surefires in the movies...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Unicorn for the link. It was an interesting read.

jnc36rcpd

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight UltraStinger I've been considering made its way to "CSI" tonight. I could not identify the smaller flashlights that evidence techs were using. It also seems that the medical examiner on "Crossing Jordon" manages to pack an UltraStinger. I must confess, however, that Jill Hennessy can occasionally distract even me from equipment issues (at least, the equipment the department hands out). Be safe.

n2299

Newly Enlightened
I watched tonight's episode too...

I think they have switch from last season's Surefire 6Ps to Streamlight Scorpions for small light.

I can't remember who it was but someone switch off their light by "clicking" the tailcap.

BTW when "Catherine" went down the garbage chute, were those Streamlight ProPoly 4AA on her hard hat or were they UK lights?

Bucky

Enlightened
In the chute she had two black UK 4AA lights. The smaller lights they were using were definitely the Streamlight Scorpion as they showed them making a definitive "click" on the tailcap several times and also the rubber coating of the body could be identified as well.

They also used Streamlight UltraStingers in other parts of the show. I distinctly remember them using 9Ns at some point last season, but have not seen any so far this season.

Bucky

Size15's

Flashaholic
Having not seen the show, you are most likely right.

Remember though that sounds such as clicks can be put in afterwards, and beams can be enhanced and altered.

Al

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jnc36rcpd:
The Streamlight UltraStinger I've been considering made its way to "CSI" tonight. I could not identify the smaller flashlights that evidence techs were using. It also seems that the medical examiner on "Crossing Jordon" manages to pack an UltraStinger. I must confess, however, that Jill Hennessy can occasionally distract even me from equipment issues (at least, the equipment the department hands out). Be safe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Tonights show, (Identity Crisis 1-17-02) started off with the two UltraSingers, I am pretty sure.

I guess I have to start watching "Crossing Jordan" to see this Jill Hennessey (to see her flashlights, of course!

Bucky

Enlightened
Definitely Scorpions and Ultra Stingers. I saw the Scorpion clearly this time, no mistaking the profile and rubber body. The Ultra Stingers were also very easy to indentify.

Bucky

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Having not seen the show, you are most likely right.

Remember though that sounds such as clicks can be put in afterwards, and beams can be enhanced and altered.

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al, I think it's on current UK national schedules. Haven't yet seen it myself, must check it out. (Not to see the actor Jill Hennessy, but to see the use of "hand-held illumination" - ain't that sad ...... )

Btw, in the film "Seven", the torches the two stars use are Mag-Chargers. I was really surprised to see that they showed them complete with the dark centre at the flood setting.
(Special effects guys these days, tut, tut.)

lightlover
smile.gif

artar

Enlightened
at the moment i watched ten minutes CSI and identified 3 different flashlights.
1 big LSI spotlight, 1 or 2 SL Stinger, and a Sl Scorpion.