Farewell John Peel

Banshee

Enlightened
Is he the Peel of the famous Peel Sessions recordings?

Ranked right up there with the King Biscuit Flour Hour for introducing me to new bands

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Wow...life is so short - some of us get to stay a little longer than others. His work was legendary!

hideo

Enlightened
OMG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

time to hunt up my Peel Session Joy Division disc and give it a spin

hideo

InFlux

Enlightened
I'm very sad to hear that. Being in the U.S. I rarely got to hear his show (except on a few bootlegs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

He did seem like a great guy. And he certainly brought the best out of the musicians as well.

There is something very exciting about hearing the music played spontaneously- without a ton of retakes and overdubs. And a lot of the musicians let loose with cover versions and alternate arrangements that otherwise might never been heard (or recorded).

Hope they decide to release more of his shows! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Mike
"W" TFO?
I guess Iraq WOULD be east of the Missippi! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
UF,
WTFO is a military expression.

What do you say when stupid orders are given over a radio?

"What The F***, Over?"

The troopers get the joke, the managment diden't get it until it was too late and the name stuck.

Win one for the smart ***.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew it must have had something to do with that, but the "O" part eluded me until the explanation went through.

Reminds me of how I once named a working group after its initials, "WTF". Some say it's a good idea it never really took off, perhaps because the name might be slightly unprofessional /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

hideo

Enlightened
Jack Crow, where the heck are you finding Be Bop Deluxe in Iraq?

you must have a ripping big iPod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill Nelson of BBD is one of my guitar heroes

hideo

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hideo,

The radio station is made from an FM stereo exciter, 1 watt amplifier/filter (Singars miliary radio is a frequency hop unit and crap from the transmitter would crash the hop sequence, so the filtered amp) and a simple gain antenna.

The audio source is a Nomad MP3 player.

I have two. One on the air, the other being refreshed and reloaded with new media.

Each has 40G of music. So my current play list is 6900 titles with very few duplicates.

Since it's my radio station, I play mostly what I like. I get some coments from time to time.

Once I screwed up and played Jeff Winn's "War of the Worlds" in reverse order. Victory to Invasion. As you can imagine that caused some confusion.
As for finding it in Iraq, that's the easy part. I spend money.

Just got a CD copy of "Live in the Air Age" on Ebay for about 12 bucks. When I was on R and R in London, that helped. Most of my media came from various gun rights crews in the states who donated music.

Right now Im working on the Haloween show. Got lots of stuff. Vincent Price and Basel Rathbone reading the works of Edgar Allen Poe. Tales from the Crypt, ext.

One last major production before I leave the station for the next operator. A kid from the base "combat stress team".

It's fun playing with a 19 year olds brain.

I was hoping to take my second vacation window and go to the UK to see the BBD reunion tour this year. Seems my wife over spent my ability to earn, and there went the vacation.

Such is life.

Hope all is well
Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq