V2 at Lowes.....

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I was suprised to find my local Lowes Hardware store to have the Coast V2 1 watt Tac Torch on the shelf.It is the one that uses 3-AAA batteries in a cylinder like holder and comes in black and camo colors.It did appear to be a nice light and I was able to find some info on a search here.
I did not find much on the actual Luxeon it uses nor much about the average cost.Lowes has it for 59.99 and this did seem to be a little much for what it is.Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a good price and also if this model uses a high dome or low dome lux?
I believe it is this one shown here to be the smaller of the two.It looks like their price is in line with most others however I would like to know if it is a high dome emitter...anyone know?
V2 1Watt

*Link fixed by dano*

Robocop

sorry but for some reason the link does not appear to work.Anyway it is the black model in a plastic sealed package.It has an optic and is labeled as 1 watt Tac Torch...thanks

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got an extra http// in that url.

Ive only see mag lights and the cheap throw away ones at lowes. I must be looking in the wrong section?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I wish LED-Lenser/Coast would give different numbers to different models. It's annoying that just saying V2 isn't enough - it has to be modified with "power chip", "triplex", etc.

Robocop

Cobb in the local Lowes here they are directly to the left when you walk through the front doors.They are in the tools section and have a rack all by themselves...also a few headlamps by Rayovac I believe are within this rack.I was pretty suprised to see them and they have other models as well by Coast.I would have purchased one however the last items I have seen by Coast in 1 watt have all been low dome.I did not wish to pay 59.99 for a low dome so I passed it up.If I can determine it to be a high dome I will go back and get one.

Turt

Enlightened
Generally, my experience has told me that it isn't very good to have a 1 watt driven by 3aaa. The battery life just isn't that great...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I have seen these in the ccrane catalog, although I believe they refer to them as a german made light.

I will try that next time, sounds like the same layout as the one here in Richmond. The flashlights I see are parallel with the check out lanes in front of the tool area, not in the tool area.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
You will often see Coast lights described as "Coast/LED-Lenser," or the names will be used interchangably.

LED-Lenser is the German manufacturer; Coast is the US distributor.

blademan

Enlightened
The V2 that I had was a low dome and was actually very white to my eyes. I compared it to an innova T-1 and a micro luminator and it was very white.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Interesting, I'll have to pass by the Lowes in my area to see if they have any in stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
The Lowe's near me carries several of the Coast luxeon's...Including a camouflaged version. They also carry two different 1 watt Luxeon head lamps...One from Coast for $59.95 (as I recall), and another by Dorcy for only $19.95! (Fit and finish is fair at best, but it throws a lot of light for $20 bucks!).

The Coast Luxeons they carry can also be found here as well (but without the camouflage). http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/index.php?cPath=19&page=2

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

groutboy_1

Enlightened
I recently paid a visit to my local Lowe's in Worcester, MA. They had a good selection of pocket lights available. This store carried dorcy spyders,& good selection of led lenser lights. I picked up the v2 "tac torch" (aka, led lenser v2 law enforcement 1.25 w) I like it... it will become my new edc light, along with my xo3...v2 tac torch
is approx. 4", & comes with 2 sets of aaa batteries. it appears to have a fraen lp lens. this version of the v2 l.e. produces a nice, white, broad beam with good side illumination. it appears to be as bright, or if not brighter than the orignal ("32 lumen") inova xo, with a side by side comparsion. I don't know if this newest comcercial version of the v2 L.E. use a high dome luxeon.
it could have one of the latest low domes with the high dome treatment...it appears to be within the 32+ lumen catagory for output. here's a pic of the packaging...

Picture038.jpg

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Couldn't find them at the Lowes in town. Where exactly to they stock them, in the tool section?

groutboy_1

Enlightened
OHHH hi,cosmic superchunk.
If your lowe's has the same lay out as ours. if you walk in the main entrance right near the registers, next to the tool section, is where all the flashlights are located....

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I saw the flashlights on the aisle outside the tools section.

The only Coast light I saw was a "Tac Torch" with 5x5mm white and a single 5mm red.

They did have the Dorcy 1W headlamp, which I was somewhat tempted to buy, but the 3xAAA put me off.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw them today at my lowes in richmond, va. I went in the entrance, traveled to the tool area and right where they use to have cheap plastic lights they had head lamps, spot lights and these things.

The most expensive one was 54 bucks, then they went down from that price. The next rack over was empty but or one light and it looked like the rest on the 54 dollar rack. Its a short stubby light with a push button on the end and the beam coming out the bottom of the package. THe package has a mirror so you can see the beam. I played with a few and man, they were all different color beams. One was blue like an led should be, one was cat urine green, another like a police car light purple and yet another almost perfect white. They seemed about as bright as my xpg on low. I was not impressed.

Next was a long mag like light that has 3 led lights in the end. It was ok, but I think they wanted too much. The next model over had 5 white led lights and a red one in the middle. Man that was the shizznite of all flashlights there. It was the bluish purple color I lust after that helps me read. Man it seemed really bright and had a pretty good beam pattern for something with no lens. The box says it will run 50k hours and 50 hours a set of batteries.

I took one of each light again around the corner with something to read and used each one by pressing the button in the package. The single red led and 5 white led model won hands down. It was 42 bucks after tax. A bit more than I was wanting to spend, but my xpg has been a bit of a let down as far as using it as a reading or spot light. It seems to be in the middle there. My trustly old ccrane 3 led light is at my folks house and the assortment of led lights I have are either too dim, not the right shade of blue. This nailled it dead on. Man, its great using it inside here for reading receipts, looking for stuff on the floor, across the room, etc. I hope I do nto wear out teh clickie switches on the body. I plan on using this frequently when I cant quite see something. Good thing it takes tripple A batteries too. I may go through a bit reading with it.

It also came with a carrying case, wrist strap and a clippie thing like they use for climing mountains.

Since playing with all of these lights I tried it against the ones I have. The 19 led light from trek or the ccrane company. THe streamline stylius(SP?) that uses those aaaa batteries, xpg and two dorcey single aaa light. Of them all, the xpg shined as far as throw was concerned and was pretty good second for a reading light. The 5 white and one red led light won first for reading light. Third was dorcey single aaa light.

The link to the whole series of lights is http://www.coastcutlery.com/?v=34&pl=141 I believe my mode is refered to as the 6 chip dual color model.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man this is a fun little light. Its like the dorcey single aaa cell light but 100 times brighter. Man, i see new stuff every time I shine it around my room. Unlike the xpg that seems to black out when shined on certain stuff, this one seems to stay visible no matter what I shine it on. It does give me new feelings for my xpg on to how white an led light can be and throw, but the huge of this thing really helps bring stuff out for me. It almost reminds me of a black or bug light. I use to enjoy staring at out bug zapper at my aprents house. Not just to see the bugs get zapped, but the bluish color really stood out to me. COnsidering the voltage used in one or my ignorance I never tried to read under it, but that is a good example of how its like.

Just a side note, I tried to put a C cell into the compartment to see if it would lite. Well the c cell was a tab too big and when I rigged it up to run it would not lite. With two cells, 2.4 volts the red led seems half as bright and the white leds just glowed. I assumed since the package said it was over driven that it would run on lower voltages, does not look like that is the case to me. With 3 aaa in the battery holder i read 4.56 volts.

I believe with the size of the battery compartment you could get in 3 aa batteries in it with some modifications. I rather that it was more of a mag light shape than a short stubby design. I may try to put the head onto another light or hell, make one.

I tried the red led and with a few seconds I can read with it about as well as the white ones, but it seems to make my eyes hurt using it, I rather use the whites instead.

BTW, this testing was done in my living room sitting under a 200 watt lights of american CF bulb and a 100 watt CF bulb in two lamps behind me.