The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Best light for my girlfriend?

Default Best light for my girlfriend?

Hey guys, maybe you can offer some opinions here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My girlfriend, inexplicably, really loves my Inova X1 because it has a perfectly round beam and because it's nice and small.

I myself only use the X1 for close-up work, because the beam is even and not too bright, and I think it's perfect for that. But for outside at night I think it's a bit hopeless. I'd like for her to have something more powerful to play with.

I was considering the Inova T1, because it's relatively small and has the same shape and a reasonably tight beam. But I don't know.

Basically, the requirements are:
    - Reasonably small size
    - Tight beam
    - Cute looks

Thanks a lot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Best light for my girlfriend?

An E1e with a new style KL1 should fit the bill.

Aleph 2 with 1x123 tube in Gold Titanium-Nitride and trimmed cap, while we're dreaming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Realistically, I would probably point her towards the Peak AAA 3W LED by andrewrwynn, or maybe pick up one of the d'mo-modified Arc AAAs, if only because they're small but bright. Otherwise, for more throw, I'd suggest eyeing the KL1 on a VitalGear 1x123 body, if you can find one.

Flashaholic*

Modded Arc LS.

Get her a Mag-Solitaire modded with a 1W Lux from LED_ASAP: tiny & cute, not too sure about the tight beam, though.

Flashaholic

For the money, look at the Longbow Micra. It runs about $70 shipped. It looks sexy and well finished, she might like the look of it. Micra pics/specs here

Or you could 'build' a Vital Gear FB-1 body and KL-1 head. Similar to this vital gear w/ KL4 head

I will give my gf my LongBow Micra as soon as i get my FB1 w/KL1 head.

Nuwai Q-III

The T1 would be a good choice, I think. HA-III and decent output for its size. The throw is not bad... it's certainly a big step up from the X1. It's a lot of light in a small package.

The Q-III is a good (and perhaps brighter) light, but it's got a much less resistant finish. It has more sidespill than the T1, but throws about the same. The lack of a glass lens is a minus. Still, it's not a terrible choice.

An E1e with the new KL1 might be the best choice. It's got the best throw of all these lights. Typical SureFire quality, HA-III finish, etc. If your girlfriend plans to just throw the thing in her purse, a SureFire might be your best bet.

Flashaholic

Here's a thread with pics that compare Vital gear/Longbow Micra/ Arc 4/Arc LS/ SF E1E/ Firefly etc. This thread gives a good idea of the different sizes etc. Click here

i was thinking the same thing myself. what to get for my gf?!?!? right now i'm thinking of 3 lights. first one, SureFire L2, on low settings you get 15 lumens for 8 hours good for hiking or around the house work, then on high you get 100 lumens for 60mins when she needs more power. SureFire A2, 50 lumens 60mins with incan and LEDs 3 lumens max output for 15 hours, followed by over 30 hours of minimal output. and as for a backup light an Inova X5 for its good flood light, durability and long runtime~

I would go with the T1. It's small, fully regulated, has good output and is tough. Furthermore, she already knows and likes the brand/design. Also, the new Inova's are the best value for the money.

Give her the X1 and buy something for yourself. Then, if she wants more you can always upgrade. .

Flashaholic*

If you want really small but still a bright usefull beam, i second the Arc AAA with Luxeon mod from LED_ASAP. He can customize the current draw to get brightness you want, and run time. (Pick any one).

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Ikonomi said:
    Hey guys, maybe you can offer some opinions here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Best light for my girlfriend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we should know if this is your best girlfriend? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It really all comes down to how much you want to spend.

What no winelight? Come on, it's purple [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DasFx

Hi again guys! Thank you for all the help, really. I didn't mean to make it seem like I ignored all the awesome advice in this thread by not replying for like... two years.

Sorry. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway... I THINK I'm going to go with an Inova T1 and see how she likes that. I think it will be more than enough for her, and since she's already a big fan of the Inova form factor, it should be a good match.

[q]It really all comes down to how much you want to spend.[/q]
    That's very true. I discovered that by reading this thread. There's a lot out there that fits the bill, but a lot of it is out of my budget.

[q]I guess we should know if this is your best girlfriend?[/q]
    lol, she sure is.

Edit: Whoops, I don't know how to quote on this board. Sorry for the little bracketed Qs.

Sometimes the best light for a girlfriend is the one on her cellphone autodial with your number stored in it.