Newbie: Help me pick the best light

Valsport

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I am outside in the middle of nowhere very often whether it's hunting, fishing, camping, working ect. I am looking for the best (Brightest, Rugged, Run Time) handheld flashlight I can get my hands on. Are there some I need to look at that you've had experience with? Thanks

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The first and most important question is.....how much are you willing to spend?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some notes before: High brightness and long battery runtime are mutually exclusive. The highest brightness has the shortest runtime. So you have to compromise on that.

Second, I'm not much of a modder and prefer lights out of the package. And I prefer LEDs because of their ruggedness.

That said, and since you mentioned nothing about battery size, how about Elektrolumens TriStar Phazer? Obscenely bright, and 8 hrs runtime on 4 C-cell batteries (which is why I hesitate to get one). With $120 below your limit, and should be available again at the end of this week.

Flashlight Enthusiast
EL Tri Star Phaser is a good recommendation. Even when it hits half brightness, you're still getting a very respectable 108 lumens! It should give good brightness for several hours.

Catman10

Enlightened
I'd recommend an Aleph... Any Aleph. Check out the McGizmo forum for more information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

HesNot

Enlightened
Well there are certainly lots of questions - as has been pointed out price is one issue, runtime/brightness are mutually exclusive - you are always seeking a balanced compromise. A few additional questions - is size a factor? Battery type preference (somewhat related to size although in smaller lights you have typically various AA combinations and cr123 cell options which are more powerful and more expensive unless you buy them in bulk on the internet)? Do you need a spot or a flood type light?

At least based on a few assumptions (smaller light and 123 cell batteries are OK) you could look at something like the Surefire A2 or the Streamlight TwinTask lights which have both LEDs for flood and general use (with long runtimes) and incandescent bulbs when you need a much brighter spotlight. I know several hunters who find the A2 which is in your price range to be a very rugged and useful light. I personally own a TwinTask 2 cr123 cell light and at about 1/4 the price of the surefire it is plenty rugged and useful.

Valsport

Newly Enlightened
Yes size is a factor. I'd like something that will fit easily in my glove box or hunting backpack, maybe between 4 and 8.5 inches long. I will need a red and blue lense filter to be availible with the light for tracking blood trails and not spooking game. As far as the runtime/brightness goes, it is really hard to say. I need something that will blow away my 3 D cell maglite. Some of the surefire's I've looked at use Lithium power. Are these expensive to buy for replacement?

sithjedi333

Enlightened
I would recommend a Mcgizmo Aleph too. I would only consider lights with 2 stages, so you can have long runtime and power when you need it. Other lights include the Surefire L4 with McGizmo 2-stage switch, L2 and A2, and the upcoming HDS lights.

Perhaps you should look at headlamps too?

Lithiums are very cheap if bought over the web. Check out www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm
They run around $1 apiece
Also surefire has them for slightly more.

Valsport

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen the L4 in a 2-stage. Where can I look at one of those online? Streamlite makes the OUTDOORSMAN but it only puts out 20 lumens. IS the L4 65 lumens?

HesNot

Enlightened
The issue regarding lense filters may knock the otherwise worthy A2 out of contention as I couldn't find filters for that light on the Surefire site (although it was admittedly a quick view).

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Valsport,

The 2-stage switch is made by one of our resident geniuses, Mcgizmo, and is an aftermarket replacement tailcap, and very professionally designed and finished. You can check it out on the Mcgizmo forum here on CPF.

It has other features besides the 2 stages, such as the ability to tailstand, holes for lanyards, cigar grip, screw mount and the ability to add a metal tab that you can clip onto your belt. The L4 and this tailcap make a package around an inch shorter than the L2, if these features are interesting to you.

There seems to be some debate on the exact output of the L4, but it is at least 65 lumens and probably between 65 and 100.

Hope that helps.

Valsport

Newly Enlightened
Is all I know is that my 3d maglite is not cutting it. I think its output is something like 32 lumens, so I need something more substantial, you would understand if you're in think cover at 4:30 in the morning trying to get into a deer stand. Yes the lense filters will be a very important piece that I'll need.