Dorcy AA light at Target

unclearty

Enlightened
Stopped at Target at lunch..picked up a Dorcy 4 LED AA light..recently marked down to $16.99.
Great little light...bright and runs forever for $17
This makes my second..actually bought it for my neighbor who loves mine.

junior

Enlightened
I was thinkg about buying this light.....how bright is it compared to other lights you have? Have you compared it to the Dorcy AAA?

What say you?

unclearty

Enlightened
Significantly brighter. I wrote a piece here awhile back about a simple mod for this light. When new out of the package, it has strange ringed artifacts from refelctions off the chromed ring around the leds. If you pop out the retainer, remove the lens and carefully scrape off the chrome plating on the beveled edge, this light has one of the best "walls of white" beam I own.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It and the 1AA are suprisingly bright.

Also, the heads can interchange, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I never heard of unclearty's mod. I put Scotch tape on mine to give a nice blended beam.

unclearty

Enlightened
Ain't easy..I finally used a small flat head jeweler's screwdriver...there is a translucent plastic ring holding the lens in..brace light against workbench and carefully work under the retainer..it should pop out. Mine had a little nick from removal..I used a sharp blade to remove it before re-inserting it.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've found that the 1AA produces a really ugly color - a sickening mix of pale blue and vague orange-brown.

The horrid color effects the quality of the light to the point that the utility of the 1AA is questionable.

Maybe I got a lemon.

junior

Enlightened
Ok, folks i just bought the Dorcy2AA @ Target for 16.99Too and i love it. In fact, i like this light waaaaay more than the inova X5 i returned awhile back.

My reasons are the following:
Dorcy 2AA - Momentary switch is way easier to activate, light is lighter in weight, uses regular AA batteries and is exactly what an led light is supposed to do.

Inova - Momentary switch to hard to activate, weighs too much for a general led light and uses 123 batteries. Light is also to slippery.

I will say the inova is built like a tank, but ill take the Dorcy2AA for general/walking in the dark light anytime.

What say you?