"Newbie" to the world of flashlights, and the CPF!

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
\"Newbie\" to the world of flashlights, and the CPF!

I only just recently got "sucked in" to the world flashlights (it's been all of three weeks). Read about you guys in one of my knife forums (I'm a part-time maker).

Shortly before learning about the CPF, I had stopped into the nearby Target, and on a whim bought one of the Dorcy 1 watt Luxeons. Not too shabby...not too shabby at all! Puts out a surprising amount of good-looking, white light for $25! (from what I've read here, sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones as my light is nice and white!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That was followed soon after by another Luxeon purchase...This time a 3 watt. I thought I was being real clever having found what seemed to be a pretty good buy (The fact that I hadn't seen this light, or the dealer, mentioned anywhere in the CPF should have been my first clue):
http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=100

Boy was I dissapointed! I wanted something fairly small to carry in my shoulder bag...and not yet knowing any better, I figured that N cells would be a good way to go. I knew that the three N cells with this light would of course put out less juice than the 3 AAA's in the Dorcy, but in my naivite, I had assumed the 3 watt would at least be as bright. I was wrong!!

It did get a little better after I replaced the batteries with fresh ones, but it's a rather yellowish light,...One which I thought seemed surprisingly soft for what's supposed to be a narrow, 10 degree beam (you're given a choice when ordering). It also has an odd, very distinctive "line" coming out from the center of the beam,..not quite a straight line as it goes out in both directions from the center at about a 160 degree angle (I don't know what causes that...perhaps one of you can tell me). I've since learned that the N cells were not exactly the best choice for a Luxeon...not by a long shot! I was naive and actually believed the <font color="red">following warning </font> (found on the right-hand side of the page linked above, as well as all the other Luxeon light pages-See "brightest lights" for their other Luxeon offerings):

<font color="red">"Watch out for Chinese flashlights that use CR123 Lithium batteries as they only last 2 hours & cost $10! You can use regular N batteries & even rechargeable's! CR123's are also hard to find in the U.S., let alone internationally."</font>

Since none of their "private label" Luxeons use 123's, this was obviously a very self-serving piece of propoganda!

I can't believe I would fall for that without checking it out first (I usually thoroughly check out everything before buying). I've since read through a lot of the threads here at the CPF, and have come to know better about the CR123's.

Oh well, the light doesn't totally suck, just not what I had expected, especially from a 3 watt. I thought I'd try and get NiMh N cells. (I tried NiMh AAA's in my Dorcy 1 watt...definite improvement over what is an already OK light).

Yesterday I placed an order for a Nuwai Q-III...This time I read the reviews first (LedMuseum and FlashlightReviews). It's very much the size I had in mind for an EDC, and it sounds like I'll get a lot of bang for the buck coming right out of the package (I'm not yet at all ready to start trying any mods). I'm looking forward to receiving that one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

All-in-all it's been fun so far...although one thing I didn't need just now was yet another addictive hobby (and the Forums to help enable the addiction)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Re: \"Newbie\" to the world of flashlights, and the

My advice, leave while there's still money in your bank account.

tracker870

Enlightened

It takes willpower (and I have none!) to put that plastic Away! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I was just fine with my Photons, MAGlites, minimags, No-Name tactical Xenons....Then I found this forum. Looked around a while before deciding I had to join the fun!
It's not that I had never heard or read about Surefire & ARC and the others...I just started reading cpf & the FlashlighReviews, etc. & got hooked (I need to get that Xmas list started) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cy

Flashaholic

welcome to cpf and hold on to your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbev

Newly Enlightened

Yes, this is a very addictive and potentially expensive hobby. But oh so much fun for the neighbors.

BTW, welcome.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have recharable 123s and Pilas....a 2 or 3 123 substitute.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

welcome! first one important thing to do.

1)take out wallet
2)get a caliper and measure the OD of the wallet.
3) write it down and revel in it! cause it won't be that big ever again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Hell I am working musician, and i have seen guy's(and myself, yr's back ) spend this kinda money in one night of drinking/drugging. this is a much healhier hobby! VDG

dc

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:

1)take out wallet
3) write it down and revel in it! cause it won't be that big ever again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Hell I am working musician, and i have seen guy's(and myself, yr's back ) spend this kinda money in one night of drinking/drugging. this is a much healhier hobby! VDG

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, any hobby outside of drinking/drugging/womanising is definitely a good hobby. I do smoke though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
dc said:
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:

1)take out wallet

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, any hobby outside of drinking/drugging/womanising is definitely a good hobby. I do smoke though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DC, give up smoking & you can buy more lights.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14C

Enlightened

The "lines" you are seeing are actually the connecting wires to the LED die. They cast shadows that are made visible in the beam. This is there with all LEDs but particularly apparent with optics. I am guessing this item has a fraen optic due to the mentioned beam width.

Check out the flashlight reviews at The LED Musem:
The LED Museum

Flashlight Reviews:
Flashlight Reviews

and

Dan's:
Dan's Data

B@rt

Flashaholic

welcome.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mapson

Enlightened

Oh man, you're in trouble now. I was a happy Maglite user before finding this forum. You'll like the QIII, nice little bright light and you won't cry a river over losing it because it is not too expensive.

Boris

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mapson said:
Oh man, you're in trouble now. I was a happy Maglite user before finding this forum. You'll like the QIII, nice little bright light and you won't cry a river over losing it because it is not too expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
i was happy too.. but i discovered cpf... an then... i'm happier.. but my budget is not..hide your wallet quick... and cancel all those credit card before you get addicted as i am...

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

Thanks for the welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't get over how active it is over here! I'm a moderator over at the KnifeNetwork Forums (formerly the CKDForums). We've got an amazing community of over 4000 World Class and aspiring knifemakers, which is devoted to sharing knowledge about knifemaking...consequently our potential pool of active members is just a wee bit smaller than those who dig flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Feel free to drop by for a visit (BTW-I'm also known as "Osprey Guy" over there). KnifeNetwork Forums

Hey 14C- Thanks for the explanation about that mystery line (I figured it was a safe bet that someone here would offer a quick explanation)...and yes, according to the specs (you'll find them at that link I provided), they do use "Fraen 17mm collimated lenses"...In addition to the 10 degree beam, I checked off specs for a Lambertian bulb vs the Bat Wing? (Not knowing any better, it seemed like a good idea at the time...I have a feeling I made the correct choice).

Thanks again, looking forward to hanging here!

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

MY Nuwai Quantum III just arrived!

I had no sooner hit the enter button for my last reply, when the doorbell rang! It was the mailman with my package from Advancedmart. Man that was fast! I placed the order late in the day on Tuesday and had it sent Priority Mail. It traveled clear across country in just two days! (Compared to that light from Quality Products Online...the website says it supposed to go out the next business day (I even called the following day to confirm that!). It took them three more days to finally send it out, and another week to arrive). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I can already see a big difference between this and my first two Luxeons. The QIII is clearly a superior light to the other two... Much purer, cleaner light than the Dorcy (although both are nice and white white, and the Dorcy has a hotter center).

It's now very easy to see how the collection process gets it's start...With this purchase I've obviously already taken a "quantum" leap in my flashlight collection (pun intended...couldn't resist).

I really like this little fellow!!! COOL!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif (BTW-Fun Gremlin selection)

cognitivefun

Enlightened

I am also a Newbie into this world but I love it. I just ordered the Nuwai, it looks way cool. I am excited about it as a EDC that is really bright.

Thanks for this site, it is great!!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Osprey_Guy said:
MY Nuwai Quantum III just arrived!

...I can already see a big difference between this and my first two Luxeons. The QIII is clearly a superior light to the other two... Much purer, cleaner light than the Dorcy (although both are nice and white white, and the Dorcy has a hotter center)...

[/ QUOTE ]

To repeat a warning from another CPFer I read months ago, ...if you like one of your Luxeon lights, never compare the beam side by side with another that you own. One will always be better, for some reason(s), than the other and you may be better off not knowing.

Welcome.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened

I own the Q-III and I love it. Even though I keep telling myself not to carry it everywhere, I still do...

I, too, ordered from Advancedmart. I, too, received my order blazingly fast.

Sounds like you're off to a good start! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif