Will Peak Solutions become the next Arc Flashlight

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw this post "chopped off" for being in the Arc forum, and since the chopper didn't move it, and I find the question intriguing, let me pose it in what I can only imagine is the correct forum.

I think they have a good chance, and had just said as much in the Peak LED Q&A thread.
---
Will Peak Solutions become the next Arc Flashlights? Peak Solutions flashlights seem to offer a flashlight similar to the Arc AAA & Arc AA and they are going to come out with 1W,3W,5W leds that might rival the Arc 4.

http://flashlightreviews4.home.att.net/reviews/peak_led_solutions.htm

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/flashlights.html

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Will Peak Solutions become the next Arc Flashl

As far as the AAA light goes, I see Peak putting out some similar lights, but lacking the spirit of the Arc AAA. Arc pushed the envelope as far as it could with the little 5mm LED, to the point anymore might break it. The Peak, so far, doesn't seem to have the same feel for adventure.

I'd look for several sources to become available for similar lights, mass produced and imported. I figure some will remain aluminum, and some will attempt to achieve the same utility through plastics. The little Dorcy AAA is probably only the beginning of the same basic product that chooses to bypass the expensive labor intensive production, and give us the same concept and utility in a $1.00 - $7.00 light.

I think Peak is getting into the game a little late. They might try following the script, but the spirit of innovation and adventure is lacking.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I beg to differ Empath. Peak has shown great spirit by offering a variety of flavors. When they first started talking about their 3LED AAA, many here on this board thought it was a farce. Even when photos were posted, some thought it was a Photoshop trick. Peak offers a great variety of LED and battery options. They're purportedly working on a commerical 1AAA Luxeon. Arc was a pioneer and Peak can't take that away from them, but they do have spirit.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I agree with Empath, that the experience with ARC was based on quality. innovation and honor. That's a hard combination to beat.

I've not been impressed so far, but I'm known for being a tough customer.

Daniel

Geode

Enlightened

This is a good question. With respect to the AAA models, the Peak short bodied 5mm will do for me, but the more important replacement remains for my Arc LSH-S. Longow is okay, but larger and not as ergonomically friendly, IMO. Just waiting for someone to step up to the plate in the 1W or 3W LED category.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peak - if it stays around - will have time to evolve and should equal and then surpass Arc in time. They are coming out with luxeon designs soon, their form factor is comparable to and their workmanship is already better than Arc's.

Personally, I wish they'd use more exposed (maybe windowed) LEDs instead of recessed ones in their multi-LED designs as I prefer more spill in their high end lights. But that's just me.

There appears to be a difference between Peak and Arc (from the published reviews) in the runtime achieved for comparable batteries and amounts of light. Arcs appear to have better regulation and run time than Peak's; but as I said, Peak's electronics will no doubt evolve. Or their current customers may not care and they will evolve in other directions.

indenial

Enlightened

I would hope they exceed Arc in terms of keeping design flaws to a minimum. Personally I haven't purchased a Peak and have not read any reviews suggesting their products are exceptional. Poor management, which led to serious distribution and production problems, including a high rate of product defects, killed Arc from what I observed. Let's hope Peak has learned from ARC's mistakes.

*Retired*

I picked up a few 5mm Nichia based ARC Flashlights, and was amazed someone would be driving the LEDs way out of their specifications, which already have a fairly fast light output degredation. The poor things even looked a bit upset, showing the angry blue color.

I was impressed by Peak's use of a gold contact, instead of the hobbyist based solder blob found in the ARC AA/AAA, and the troublesome crimp found on the heads.

In reality, the extreme variety of the Peak offerings from day one went way past and beyond what ARC Flashlights ever achieved.

They have come a very long way in, what, six months? Will be interesting to see where they are in three years, for a comparison. Remember, ARC's first flashlights also had the advantage of alot of it's design being based right out of the pages of CPF, especially the electronics, mechanical, switches, optics, finish, etc.

Xero

Newly Enlightened

well hopefully they won't become too much like arc and go bankrupt....

all jokes aside though the AAA prototype body looks so similar to the arc-aaa body that it's not even funny...if they can match the brightness and time of an arc-AAA then I'd say they have a very good chance...and the brass bodies/stainless bodies are a nice touch as well.

I have a good feeling if they can manage to make em perform as well or better, then most people looking for an arc-AAA will head to them, but of course, this is all speculation....it's very well possible someone will come out with a new light any day now and blow us all away...but such giant leaps are rare...

I will definitely consider buying one in the future, especially if they can make one that beats out my arc...1W models sound very intereresting as well. It'd be really neat to see something like a 3W w/123 in a body that looks exactly like an Arc-AAA but just a bit wider/shorter...that'd be a really neat light. It seems they have the process of making nice flashlight bodies down, so anything is possible...

RadarGreg

Enlightened

I think Peak Solutions will be successful. MJ has, hopefully, learned how to not run a business into the ground from Peter's example. I've got two Peak flashlights and like them both. I still carry my Arc AAA as an EDC, but don't see why the Peak concept AAA couldn't replace it should my Arc break or get lost. Peter is a pioneer and deserves credit for all the work he put into Arc. Other companies can and will improve on what Peter did. Hoover invented the vacuum cleaner, but my Dyson kicks it's *** any day.

The King is dead(Arc), long live the king(Peak Solutions)!

RadarGreg

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

With Arc, I think all of us here got the feeling that we were peering over Peter's shoulders in the development lab, helping out and commenting where we could. I don't get the same feeling of involvement with Peak. I think that's what we miss in Arc.

We all suspect that Peak is working on some Luxeon lights, but we don't seem to be involved, nor are they asking for any input (so far as I know)....

chrisse242

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:

We all suspect that Peak is working on some Luxeon lights, but we don't seem to be involved, nor are they asking for any input (so far as I know)....

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly feel Peak has an open ear for our wishes. When the first aaa-lights came out, many complained about them being to dim. So the high-power models came up. Still to dim? You can have the ultra high power through the custom desing center. You don't like the longer body with screw on tail? The shorter prototype bodies are coming back. You want whiter led's? The snow colour led's will match this need.
Peak not listening? Not really.
Regarding the luxeon models, we've yet to see them. I wouldn't want to judge on peaks attention to our wishes untill the lights are here.

Chrisse

Steve C

Enlightened

Like many, I'll be watching these developments with great interest. My older, black-bodied ARC AAA is the perfect EDC complement to my L4. I bought two hard-anodized newer AAAs, one for the wife and one for a spare, last year. But the beams on these, compared to the older one, are a bit disappointing.

Whenever I pull my AAA out to use, it never fails that someone present will ask where to get one. I don't know what to tell them right now, plus I know mine will not last forever.

This concept- a tiny but very useful pocket light with good endurance- is simply too good to let evaporate. I echo the hope that someone will produce a quality replacement, priced accordingly, for the ARC AAA. If the bean counters prevail, all we will have is cheap plastic built to a price point.

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened

I have two Peak "prototypes" (which are the same as the Arc AAA bodies) and some of their production AAA bodies with the screw-off tailpieces. I think their products are innovative and very well-made. If I had any recommendation for Peak it would be to make what they currently call their "Hi Power" series their normal offering and beef up the Hi Power to what Arc was doing with their products. I like that many models from Peak are available in brass, SS or aluminum, and I think they are going places.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

I suppose that once the first car was made you could also say that everything else was just 4 wheels on a chassis. That would be a pretty ignorant thing to say, IMHO.

Peak isn't Arc and if PG spent a little less time here and more time doing business things Arc would likely still exist.

Peak is going places that Arc didn't and that makes them more valuable to me and the end user.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

If /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif was not my first, middle and last name I'd order up some Peak stuffto give my perspective on it.

Besides, I only have the one ARC AAA....

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

If I were Peak, I'd NOT want to thought of as the next ARC.....ARC went out of business!!!

ARC is dead...why can't we leave it alone and move on?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Roy: You said everything I was thinking, especially when I saw the title of this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I mentally translated it as "Will Peak Solutions go out of business soon, like Arc Flashlights"?

I'm hoping 'no', especially not before I see how much their Volcano-series lights cost...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

...ohhh...oooh...me...me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Volcano series.....does that mean that they blow up and melt down when you turn them on????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif