OSTAR 120 lumen RGB in one LED for projectors

*Retired*
SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 22, 2004--OSRAM Opto Semiconductors today introduces the new OSTAR compact high-power LED (light emitting diode), offering more than 120 lumens output and measuring 3x1 centimeters, which is setting new records in brightness level and size. Because of its tiny size and ability to emit such bright light, OSRAM's OSTAR LED is predicted to affect the future miniaturization of many forms of projectors. The OSTAR's low-profile package also makes it usable in mobile illumination applications.

OSRAM OSTAR LED

Bart found the picture here:
http://www.osram-os.com/news/news-ostar.php?lan=eng&id=73

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
sounds kinda like a luxeon 5watt with different color dies in the package
From Osram website
ostar_gross.jpg

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it does look square like the Lux 5. (Technically the Lux 5 is nto a five watt since it depends on Bin, and voltage/current)

3 by 1 centimeters. I wonder how the actual light emitting part compares to the Lux 5 size wise.

RussH

Enlightened
Doesn't RGB mean Red, Green, and Blue LEDs (or phosphors) combined to get white? If so it sounds like a new configuration, perhaps constructed like the LuxV, although it sounds like it's several layers in one die. The 120 lumens sounds more like Lux3. I'm looking for a voltage, that's how you can tell.

Free

Enlightened
The use of RGB leds mirrors the use of a Red, Green, and Blue gun in traditional CRT projection. It is used to create the proper color balance for a projected image. This is very exciting for someone into Home Theater, and represents the pursuit of the Holy Grail of projector technology.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
according to the article it uses 1 red 1 blue and 2 green led modules probably I would guess just like a lux5 does.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yesterday, I received several LED types from ISP Korea (now known as Powerleds) - one of them is a "UFO" LED that has RGB output.
The Vf and If indicates 1W dice at best - at most, 3 watts total maximum.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDependent said:
White LuxV does NOT use RGB. It uses four 1w blue dies with a blob of phosphor over all 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he probably meant in a 2x2 multi-die configuration, not that a LuxV uses separate RGB dies. I was thinking it probably uses a 2x2 multi-die configuration as well.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I didn't mean a lux5 uses RGB.. sorry if that was confusing. I meant the 2x2 layout design was the same just maybe they put rgb in the dies instead of white.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Yesterday, I received several LED types from ISP Korea (now known as Powerleds) - one of them is a "UFO" LED that has RGB output.
The Vf and If indicates 1W dice at best - at most, 3 watts total maximum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, did you post this in the UFO thread?

These are OSRAM, I wonder how the quality stacks up?