Beards

Mrd 74

Enlightened
I've worn a full beard for 33 years and boy is it getting long.Seriously though with todays beard trimmers its very easy to maintain and creamrinse makes it nice and soft.The wife likes it because she never gets whisker burn and it covers up the ugly.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worn mine for over 30 years. Covers the ugly, as Mrd says. And, as my friend, the legendary AJ Crabtree said, "if God had meant a man to shave, He'd have put a razor blade on a finger."

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Mrd 74 said:
I've worn a full beard for 33 years and boy is it getting long.Seriously though with todays beard trimmers its very easy to maintain and creamrinse makes it nice and soft.The wife likes it because she never gets whisker burn and it covers up the ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto except I'm only 10 years into it. Thought I do have a 'stashe', does that disqualify me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I let it get longer in the winter, keep it shorter than my wife prefers in the summer (must be the ugly showing through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ). I went with a beard as no electricity and no hot running water make 'face scraping' even less fun. Some guy's beards just don't come in looking right to me and I can't see having to spend a lot of time on grooming it. So I say if you can let your beard go for a couple of weeks without attention, other than washing, do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had one since 97. Its great, I have or had terrible acme and had to shave twice a day and shaving would cause a rash. I tried all shavers, cremes, no luck. I had a red neck and red bumps on my face. Growing a beard covered them up and since seems to help keep it under conrol. Funny i have no break ours else where on my face where the hair doesnt grow.

Anyway, I just trimm it once a month with a cheap beard trimmer and leave it longer during the winter than summer. It really helps during the winter being out inthe weather for the bus. Its like wearing a face mask knitted hat.

As for cleaning, I just use shampoo on my face as well as head and wash both at once. I usually comb mines as well as my hair.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine (beard and mustache) for 20 years or there abouts. It's really less of a bother than shaving every day and easier on my face. I wash it when I wash my hair. As far as style goes, for the most part I just let it do it's own pattern. I keep it from growing down my neck and basically just keep it from getting scraggly looking. Like others have said, I let it get a little longer in the winter.

Cons.... sometimes I get food in it or a stray hair in my mouth. But both are not really a con because I try to observe good hygenic habits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Other than that, I don't have much to complain about by having facial hair.

Samoan

Enlightened
I've been alternating between a beard and a goatee for the last 20 years. Keeping mostly with the goatee. I started out to hide a scar I picked up in high school and it hides the double (is it triple yet) chin.

No GF has ever complained about it. It's the stubble they seem to hate. I keep mine trimmed pretty close and I've never had any issues.

-F

metalhed

Enlightened
Had mine since '80, but it's kind of a hybrid.

When I first tried to grow a beard (to look older), the areas on my cheeks wouldn't fill in...so I shaved them. Still do. I guess it defeats the whole 'no shaving' reasoning, but it does limit the amount of time and difficulty with it.

As to the heat, it gets well over 100F here for long stretches in the summer, and I've never noticed a problem...but I keep mine trimmed pretty tight to the face, and as I said, it's not full.

My wife likes it, and as I get more gray in it, it seems that younger women want to flirt with me more. Cool.

I say: Grow the Beard!!!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beards rock. I hate shaving. I haven't shaved in many years.

I am almost the ultimate pragmatist. I buy a good hair clipper and when I need a haircut I just buzz my whole head -- everything but my eyebrows. I just use the bare clipper with none of the included combs attached. So my beard/mustache is the same length as my hair, which is so short that I can't grab any of it with my fingers.

This method has many of the advantages of shaving without any of the cuts, rashes or irritation. I've been doing this for quite a while now and it really suits me.

LightChucker

Enlightened
I have had a beard for about 38 years. I tried going without one a couple of times, but it just ain't me.

As my picture shows, I prefer a closely trimmed style, but I still have to shave my neck - I don't like to let it grow there. So, if you are looking to escape shaving all together, you will have to let it grow everywhere.

Chuck

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shave about every 3rd week, I'm lazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, if you have an etiquette to follow at work, my schedule does not work, but if you don't, it is really confortable, and I never used a razor again, I simply use an uncapped beard trimmer to reset the beard to an almost shaved state.

1 week (riiiiibs)
PEU%20ribs.jpg

2 weeks
PEU%20Albatros.JPG

3 weeks
DSC00182.JPG

The hair goes the same cycle, but it takes around 4 months

Pablo

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd been shaving daily since 6th grade and as a freshman in high school I grew tired of cutting myself. I've had a beard ever since, except for a short period where several girls got together and decided I needed a shave. It was back in a week or so though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've had mine 20-30 years. (I honestly don't remember.) I shave around it every morning and for the past 5 years have it professionally-trimmed every couple months. It hides a whole lot of ugliness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Larry

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a beard since it began to show. I've got some skin problems and shaving usually gives me bad acne. With the beard, it's pretty much under control. Besides, I'm too lazy to shave daily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif . I'm in Florida now, and have no problems with it in he climate here. I just keep it shorter than before. I trim it every week or so with a cheap trimmer.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I've had a beard most of the time for 9 years. Shaving always scraped me up, I hated it, and I had to do it twice a day to stay smooth. Two years ago I started using an electric shaver and have found it to be SO much more comfortable that I have chosen to go clean shaven during these past two summers. It does get sticky here in NC. I have shaved in the car while late to work. It takes 20 pain free seconds a day to clean up my neck and stray cheek hairs when sporting the beard. I reccomend electric, however, you'll have to spend $70 or alot more to get the shaver. Also, mine just doesn't get quite as close as a Gillette Mach 3 blade operated in a steamy shower accompanied by Edge gel. Nowadays, though, I'm not worried about taking a blade to my face before a night out and risk looking worse than if I had the shadow.

Gman

Enlightened
Thansk again guys for the insights. The lady of the house doesn't like the slight stubble an electric leaves. I tried them but I agree, nothing beats a good razor in a hot shower with gel.

PEU, lookin good! lol. I like your approach. Never thought about doing it that way but it makes sense. I also admire Chuck's shorter style, looks very neat and trim. I'll have to shave some I guess, no getting around it. I need to keep it short because it can't prevent an oxygen mask from sealing if I have to don one. Ok, I'm gonna go for it. I just hope it doesn't itch too much as it comes in...

coachbigdog

Enlightened
Not sure if this matters to anyone,but a poll done by MensFitness mag found out that over 70% of women prefer no facial hair.Just some info for you single guys.