Single AA cell driven luxeon light

ChrisA

Enlightened
Remember the original Arc with the single AA cell pack ? It was not as bright as it could have been, but bright enough to comfortably navigate in a dark room PLUS runtime was about 4 hours until it finally died... Is there anything like this on the market right now ? I'm looking for a simple twist action light, equipped with a luxeon, that is able to run down a single alkaline or nimh cell. I know about the miniminimag but is there anything else ?

Chris

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have heard people mod the dorcy 1AA 3led light and put a luxeon in it. You could probably ask around and see if anyone either has one or is willing to mod one for you.

Krit

Enlightened
Some 1AA flashlight could change to LuxIII with MM+ driver. It can operated from 1AA NiMH/Alkaline to 1AA Li-ion witch is very bright.

ChrisA

Enlightened
Thanks for the answers but I'm looking for something unmodded. The TnC is very nice but, like most custom lights these days, it's made out of unobtainium = "Sorry, we are currently sold out of 'Key-Lux AA Hard Ano Natural'". Are there any production pieces around ? Maybe Peak is working on something like this ?

Chris

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
i am also looking for a underdriven luxeon in a AA-form-factor. sometthing like the UKE eLED on 1 AA or 2 AAA but in sidebyside config.

5mm led are all to much on the blue side, luxeons are more white/green/blue.

Zigzago

Enlightened
I also like the 1AA configuration for a small Luxeon light. Besides those already mentioned, there aren't any on the market that I'm aware of.

I had LED_ASAP mod my Arc AA with a LuxIII, moderately driven using the stock reflector for a nice flood beam. I'm also using a miniminimag with a Madmax Lite 3T - very bright with a nice spot that is somewhat adjustable.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just IMHO -
I tend to feel that a regular single AA cell just doesn't have enough to drive a 1 watt Luxeon.

Afterall 1watt = 1volt * 1AMP
so using a single 1.5V AA cell that's 667mA for 1 watt - and that's assuming 100% efficiency....

That's a lot for a regular AA battery -
which to me kind of defeats one of the attractions of the LED flashlight of efficiency - ie: good runtimes with good brightness.

In our typical flashaholic pursuit of brightness, might we be demanding brightness to the detriment of practicality and efficiency?

stockae92

Enlightened
don't they use step up circuit?

but the run time suffers and its less bright than the 2AA counterpart

i played about with my MM+ Q3 and MM LuxIII with a 1AA micromag, its really bright for the size, but besides the cool and fun factor, i would pick the my regular 2AA mmag with either sandwich anytime for brighter and longer run time.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find my single AAA luxeon Arc AAA to be very useful and bright. And getting close to an hour run time is great. I can carry an extra battery if need be. But usully I can get to the charger before I run it down.

Small lights are more likely to be carried with you.

Funny thing, last night my wife was searching for ants in the house. She picked up my single AA 5 led light. It was ok, but she wanted brighter. I handed her the Arc AAA and she was happy with its brighter output. She only needed it for about ten minutes.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
all lights that use batteries that put out less than 3.5V use step up circuits of some sort if they are driving white LEDs.
Most people want single AA cell lights for EDC in a pocket and some luxeon single AA lights actually underdrive the LED increasing runtime it gives you a brighter whiter light than a multiple 5mm LED light. I would like to one day afford a 3watt AA or AAA light that I could run from 5ma to full blast so I could use it as a candle or short time super bright flashlight.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have plenty of stock by the middle of november on the Key-Lux AA light powered at 350mA using a single AA battery. I am hoping to not have that out of stock sign on my site anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
Extremely good news indeed!! My favorite light of all is my Key-Lux AA @ 200Ma. Just an absolute beauty!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mini Maglite cut to 1AA sized. Then run a Madmax WO and a rechargeable 14500 cell. Finally, put a Mag 2C head on the light.

It's is radical, is easily do-able, and the beam in insane for a 1AA sized battery.

micromag_and_big_reflector.jpg

micromag_and_big_reflector_and_knoll.jpg

micromag_sniper.jpg