Mag85 Questions

oldtimer

Enlightened
Well we all know that it runs well on 9AA using 3 3AA-D Adapters but I was wondering if there are any alternative battery arrangements that might be better?

How about a 8AA-2D Adapter with a 1D cell?
Running it on just 8AAs? 10AAs? 12AAs? What is the bulb's rated voltage and how much can we under or overdrive it?

I couldn't find any information here:
http://www.walamp.com/lpd/webstore/detail.tpl?partnumber=01185-U&cart=1099046886146036

Thanks.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
9.6V Specs

10.2V Specs

12.0V Specs

11AA and 12AA isn't going to happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif (but I notice the 1154 can handle 12AA and 13AA .

These are just the figures that the WA site comes up with. I'm not sure of the formula used here by the guru's of CPF.

Hope this was a little insight.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Sigh* I really should get that webpage built with all the bulb and battery configurations that have been explored. I suspect that would be most useful to folks.

In answer to your questions b2p:

The 9AA setup is ideal for the WA01185. It's proven, damned bright and has never been reported to instaflash even right off-charger.

The 10AA setup (like the MoMag) is awesome but cannot be run straight off-charger and even rested, has a better than 30% instaflash rate. If you can bear the risk, it is the second brightest bulb-based mod of the Mag3D body. Not counting the high current 12AA nimh 50W MR16 mods. This is what it's capable of: MoMag versus Vector 100W 2MCP spotlight

As for running 9AA+1D why on earth would someone want to do this? The D will pull down the voltage and current because of its internal resistance such that it will add nothing to the performance and likely result in a dimmer output. It might run longer...but it'll be dimmer.

8AA will work but will be at spec by 40% depletion and in uderdrive thereafter.

I'm talking about nimh. If you want to use alkies, you probably could use more than 9 cells, but the light will be dim due to the current limit, so why bother?

WA has a handy over/underdrive calculator. Or at least it used to for nearly every bulb. The limits of overdrive for this bulb are pretty well understood, IMO. The reason it is so perfectly suited to the 9AA, and less so the 10AA setup, is a combination of the bulb demand, the initial voltage of the battery pack and the voltage drop in the first few seconds of the run. 9 x 1.4V initial dropping to 9 x 1.25V puts it just off of the razor's edge.

You can get bulbs from WA that'll make close to this output at a higher operating voltage and thus more safely accommodate 10, 11, 12 or more cells. And you'll get more runtime from a pack since the current demand is commonly a bit lower. But then you give up compactness. The WA01185 is my all time favorite "easy" Mag3D mod for the simple reason that several factors are all at their optimal. It's really just about the best you can do in this region of the operational envelope.

Wilkey

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
*Sigh* I really should get that webpage built with all the bulb and battery configurations that have been explored. I suspect that would be most useful to folks.

In answer to your questions b2p:

The 9AA setup is ideal for the WA01185. It's proven, damned bright and has never been reported to instaflash even right off-charger.

Not counting the high current 12AA nimh 50W MR16 mods. This is what it's capable of: MoMag versus Vector 100W 2MCP spotlight

As for running 9AA+1D why on earth would someone want to do this? The D will pull down the voltage and current because of its internal resistance such that it will add nothing to the performance and likely result in a dimmer output. It might run longer...but it'll be dimmer.

8AA will work but will be at spec by 40% depletion and in uderdrive thereafter.

WA has a handy over/underdrive calculator. Or at least it used to for nearly every bulb. The limits of overdrive for this bulb are pretty well understood, IMO. The reason it is so perfectly suited to the 9AA, and less so the 10AA setup, is a combination of the bulb demand, the initial voltage of the battery pack and the voltage drop in the first few seconds of the run. 9 x 1.4V initial dropping to 9 x 1.25V puts it just off of the razor's edge.

You can get bulbs from WA that'll make close to this output at a higher operating voltage and thus more safely accommodate 10, 11, 12 or more cells. And you'll get more runtime from a pack since the current demand is commonly a bit lower. But then you give up compactness. The WA01185 is my all time favorite "easy" Mag3D mod for the simple reason that several factors are all at their optimal. It's really just about the best you can do in this region of the operational envelope.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, hey Ginny,

did you try the CBP1650ma in that 9AA set up yet, hmm, fresh off the charger...'lit bro of the instalflashing badass Aero 1/2D NiMH's? Guess I need to send you a bunch for testing when I get some. Same with the 15min. Energizer 2200ma AA NiMH next month, those might work particularly well in a 9-cell setup.

Oh yes, you really should get that site up and running /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, by then the 3DM*g may have an some IRC's running inside them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif (if I ever get around to building a homemade 12aa-3d adapter that is. Oh heck, if the M*g plastic could handle 5+amps, we could get 1k lm out of a 2D... "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little bit unwell")

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oodles,
I've never tried the CBP1650 but if the opportunity arose, I would. I would still like to get some of EL's V2 3-Ds. Do you know if they're shipping yet? Do I recall correctly that those guys working on the Phoenix had some problems with the CBP1650 at 8A? Even so, 3-5A should not be a problem.

The I3 cells do look promising. I see that Radio Shack sells them now as well.

What do you want to run in a 2D that'll give you 1 kLu? I'm intrigued. That could be based on 9x2/3A cells but then you'd have to enlarge the bore. 2/3AA HC?

Your mind works in mysterious ways, Udaloo.

Wilkey

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:

[/ QUOTE ]
*Ahem* That'd be greaaat.

Wilkey -

I work closely with another programmer that is also going to college. He tends to, let's say, tangent in an exploritory way. Once I encouraged him to stay on plan due to a quickly approaching deadline. He said, "Let me do this one thing. It will soothe my mind." I just smiled and said something like, "Do it." and left him alone. I understood exactly what he meant. Creative types must tangent or they spoil.

I haven't kept my little informational contribution to your endeavor up-to-date so I must apologize. e.g., I've already forgotten what soloco does with a WA01166 so I'll have to use the search function when mine come in. 12AA NiHm I think.

One Mo Time:

Bulb Usage Reference Table

Please copy/paste your bulb usage successes to this table. This list is FlashlightOCD's excellent idea. I think we should consider it everyone's list to edit and make additions to.

Ginseng:

WA01318 (9.6V, 1.93A): Mag3C on 5x123 lith, Mag4C on 4.5 and 5x123 lith, Mag3D on 9xAA nimh, Mag3D 10xAA nimh in 2x modified EL 3-D holders (reduced resistance) and 1xRS 4AA holder also heavily modified for lower resistance and fit Designated "MoMag".

WA01185 (9.6V, 3.15A): Mag3D on 9xAA nimh, Mag3D 10xAA nimh in 2x modified EL 3-D holders (reduced resistance) and 1xRS 4AA holder also heavily modified for lower resistance and fit

WA01274 (7.2V, 2.77A): Mag2D on 6xAA nimh, Mag3D on 6xAA nimh + 1D alkie

CA809: Mag3C on 4x123, Mag4C on 4.5x123
CA805: Mag3D on 3xD alkie, Mag3C on 3xC alkie
CA717: Mag3D on 4x123 lith, acid etched bulb

HPR51: on 3x123

CA1057: on 3x123 (brighter than HPR51).

Wilkey said Lemlux:

WA01319: UK D4
WA01111: MagCharger
WA01160: MagCharger
WA01317: DB8AA
WA01148: DB4AA on 6x123 lith

FlashlightOCD:

WA01160 + MagCharger = Very bright rechargeable light that will outperform a Tigerlight, with an output of about 500 lumens.

Phaserburn:

WA01160 + Powerstream 1/2D batts + MagCharger = runtime of 45-55.

Tech A Billy:

WA01315: (6.27v 1.42A). Energizer 4AA Double Barrel modified to use six SF123's. Runs at 7.2 volts for over 250 lumens with a beam that's nice and tight but not surefire perfect.
WA01286: (4.2v .70A) Energizer 4AAA modified with the DB6AA bulb - 4 NiMH AAA's in series – 70 lumens.

S4MadMan:

WA01660: MAG Charger - PowerStream 1/2Ds – recorded run times of 50-50-49-50 minutes.

WA01660+ Mag + Super WMP (WilkeyMagPack) with UCL vs. Tiger light FBOP + TL approved replacement lamp and batt pack + UCL

Icebreak:

KPR118: (7.2v 700mA) Mag 3D – 9 slightly used AA alkies @ 1.4v – 3 unmodified E.L. 3toD canisters for 12.6v – est. resistance 3X 1.25 Ohm. Beam =>2X as bright and hot spot is 2X as large as the original configuration. Yea, I know, not a SuperBulb but it's what I had at the time and it woiks goot.

WA01185 (9.6V, 3.15A): Mag3D on 5X123. Melted stock reflector in 2 minutes. Needs a PMR or a modified Aluminum Carley reflector. Doan fergit the UCL. Now using 9AA NiHms in 3 ElekroLumens 3toD V2 canisters/cammed MOP PMR with fine results.

Ailsnail:

WA1318 in mag 3c on 4 x 123 + 1 x E2
WA1274 in mag 3c on four partly spent 123's.

soloco:

DB configs. and TB config in response to 3A WA

CA808: 2x4 123s in a 3D
WA1185: 3x4 CR2s in a 2D
WA1274: 2x3 123s in a 2D

Alan L:

CA717: Mag3D with 9 NiMH AAs in unmodified 3-to-D adapters.

Litho123:
The WA01318 I have has been running great @ 2 stacks of 4x123 with a calculated runtime of over 70 minutes.

Thanks to PaulW for his research in this area.

soloco:

"I only successfully use 12 CR2 batteries with my 1185 in a 4x3 configuration. The 5x2 123 stick I use with all kinds of 12V bulbs that run around 2A. I have 2 3D Mags using it now; one has a 12V 20W MR16 and the other has a WA1166, my personal favorite bulb from Carley or Welch Allyn. The WA1166 has the highest light efficacy I've seen. It's actually slightly underdriven with 10 123s in a 5x2 config. It's perfectly driven by 6 123s in series. I had to figure this out with trial and error and my multimeter. I'm using Voltage per Cell = -0.4159 * Current + 3 in all my 123 calculations."

interpreted to mean -0.4 * 1.67A + 3V for 2.31V * 5 = 11.55V

Wilkey -

No pressure but if you found some bits of time within your grueling work/class/study schedule to begin your website, it might soothe your creative mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Build it.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gifand they will come.

- Jeff

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies for OT.

Oodie -

I haven't forgotten about your PM. Just need a little more time to compose a worthy response.

Dude. When they were handing out brains I think you musta got like two or three. Good to see you on the boards.

- Jeff

aka Icebreak. aka Icey. aka Iceboy. aka Icepick. aka IceCapades. aka Ice, Ice Baby.

'doon doon doon duba doon doon.'

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icey,
I hear ya. I am ashamed that I have not gone ahead with the page. I did forward the files to Randy but then I moved and started school, and oh well. I'll try again.

Ahh,
Thanks theep. I thought it was one of those. I guess it just goes to show that even when someone tells you that it's just as good as "XXX" but is cheaper, you gotta ask for proof. I've never had a problem with "XXX" being my KAN1800s.

Uddles,
CBP has the GP400 2/3AAA! You better get whacking on that 3kLu Mag 2C!!! I mean it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You buy the cells, I'll build your pack. Hmm, GP2200 4/5SC? Looks like the overdriven WA01111 in a MagCharger might be back for another round /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what the MicroFAQ was built for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll try to keep it updated. If you guys spot any discrepancies or need any changes made, PM me.

buba

Newly Enlightened
I saw on CBP website that the CBP1650 AA are in stock but are not button cells. Anyone know if they can be used in the EL V2 3-D adapters? CBP loose cells