QIII clip question...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there room to drill and tap a nuwai QIII to place the pocket clip higher--perhaps on the head itself?

this is one little niggle i have with the design--the clip appears like it will position the light very high in the pocket.

thanks,
Bob

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
I'd just like to be able to remove the clip and bend it a little. Thoose torx are so so small. All the torx sets at work will not fit.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I agree, the clip is mounted all wrong. It's quite impractical. With the way it's positioned, over 1/3 of the light sits above your pocket...and it's the lens end at that! If it was reversed and mounted near the tail end, it would sit much lower in the pocket...and the lens would be better protected by facing down.

Those screws take a #5 Torx driver...which can be a little tough to find...(Sears Torx drivers start at #6, unless you can find them in a set). A good electronics store will have them.

I measured as best I could using calipers and it looks to me like the holes have been drilled and tapped not much deeper than a 1/16". All you need is enough to grab a few threads. I'm not even remotely knowledgeable enough yet about these lights to want to risk taking apart the tail assembly, but it seems to me there'd be enough thickness in that somewhat wider "ring" about 1/4" down from the tail, to drill and tap.

I would think that there's someone out there who's taken these apart and could advise if that area is thick enough to accomodate the screws.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just tried using the small wrench used for the Arc4 pocket clip screws, and was not successful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I believe this wrench is imperial (0.050"), not metric.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Osprey_Guy said:
...Those screws take a #5 Torx driver...which can be a little tough to find...(Sears Torx drivers start at #6, unless you can find them in a set). A good electronics store will have them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Try here:

TORX T5

or here

TORX SETS

Brightnorm

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
I think the only practical use for the clip is to turn the light into an instant headlamp when installed on the bill of a baseball cap or other brimmed hat. I am pretty sure that is why they did not reverse the clip.

bubbacatfish

Enlightened
I've thought about reversing the clip on my light but fear I'd botch it. I'm sure it could be done but how it would turn out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. I have used my QIII clipped to a baseball cap brim & it worked great so again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif...

Moe

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bubbacatfish said:
I've thought about reversing the clip on my light but fear I'd botch it. I'm sure it could be done but how it would turn out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. I have used my QIII clipped to a baseball cap brim & it worked great so again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif...

[/ QUOTE ]

I also use my QIII this way, when i need both hands.
My brother in law even clipped his QIII to his Moto-Cross helmet while riding in the alps... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif