Do the leaves peak later where you live?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Growing up in Vermont, it seemed the foliage peaked the last week of September. Now for the last several years, it seems to be the first weekend in October with some color still on Columbus Day. Likewise I've now spent 20 years in Massachusettes and it seems when first arriving, the foliage peaked in the middle of October but although I would say we are now past peak, there is still a lot of color left and we are three days shy of November. Is it a sign of global warming? How is the trend where you live?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Growing up in Vermont, it seemed the foliage peaked the last week of September. Now for the last several years, it seems to be the first weekend in October with some color still on Columbus Day...

[/ QUOTE ]

I went camping Columbus day weekend, and I stayed at Lake Champlain (Crown point) and the high peaks area of the Adirondacks. The foliage was about at peak, just not a lot of red yet. I'm not sure where in VT you grew up, but the high peaks area is almost as far north as Burlington.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Yes, I've been noticing this for quite a while. The leaves used to turn when I was a kid about a month after school started in early September. Now they don't start until late October. Climatologists have said for a while that delayed leaf fall is one of the surest signs of global warming. Also, global warming doesn't necessarily mean the climate will get warmer everywhere, only that the average temperature of the planet as a whole will get warmer. One plausible scenario has much of the Northern Hemisphere warming for a while, and then cooling rapidly. Given that the trend in NYC was up until about 2000, and down ever since, I certainly find this theory interesting.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three of our four maples still have most of their green leaves on them. The oldest (70 years, aprox) maple has turned color and is dropping. We live near Lake Michigan and it's usually cool here.